resolution issues with MacBook and Samsung P2370 monitor

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 13" MacBook running OSX 10.5.6 and a 23" Samsung P2370 SyncMaster monitor. After confirming that all settings are correct and all of the cables are hooked up properly and tightened, the text I read on the screen still looks a bit fuzzy. All of the information I have been able to find about drivers for this monitor has referred me to Windows software, which has not been much help. Can anyone suggest a native OSX driver that I can install to fix this problem?

The monitor is still new enough that I can return it, so I would also be happy for any suggestions for a reasonably priced external monitor that will work with my MacBook.

Thanks,
Alex

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't need drivers. The reason for the fuzziness is that you're not running the monitor at its native resolution. How are you connecting to the Samsung? Tell us what cables and adapters you're using.

Also, what mode are you using? Mirror? Extended?

Post back.

Regards.

Reaction score
Samsung P2370 + Macbook

Hey,

i bought the new macbook pro and tried to connect it to my Samsung P2370 Display via DVI with DVI to Mini Displayport Adapter.

The problem is that the maximal resolution i can choose is 1600 x 1200 and not 1920 x 1080 which is the maximal resolution for the samsung display. I have to choose then 1600 x 900 to keep the right propotions but the quality is not very good then

Does anyone know how this problem can be solved? I tried to install drivers but i couldnt find any for mac.

In my old windows laptop everything worked well.( but with vga cable)
can this be the reason?

best regards from germany,
felix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi felix,

I had the P2470 for a few days last year and seem to remember having a similar issue. The problem was that the cable I had was only rated for "single link" DVI. But to drive such a large panel, you need a "dual link" DVI cable.

More info:
HEXUS.net - Tech explained :: DVI: Single and dual link : Page - 1/1

Go to your local Saturn or Mediamarkt and get a dual-link dvi cable and you should be all set.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anyone know how this problem can be solved? I tried to install drivers but i couldnt find any for mac.

You need to run your MBP in "clamshell" mode in order to obtain the correct resolution for the Samsung. See the following Apple KB article: LINK

Reaction score
@ chscag: when i run the computer in clamshell mode i still cant chose the right resolution.

@Aptmunich: I checked my DVI Cable and i looks like the single link cablein the picture. I didnt try it with a dual link yet, but ill buy one tomorrow. im pretty sure this is the reason to get the highest resolution together with my new mbp:)

Thank you very much for helping me!

Cheers, felix

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it doesn't work in clamshell mode then you need the dual link cable that Aptmunich described. Here's a LINK to one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know if that works for you then...

Reaction score
okay, i bought the dual link dvi cable today, but still its the same problem: highest resolution remains at 1600 x 1200.

And wehen i try to run it in clamshell mode, i cant even wake up the computer when i close the lid.
Is there another way to change the resolution. In another forum i read that i have to change the firmware of the display.
Does anyone know how i can change the firmware? Can the program switchres x do that? And when yes how?
Thanks for your help,
felix

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's strange if the machine won't wake up in clamshell mode. I'm using an external keyboard and mouse with mine and when at home use clamshell mode. Tapping the keyboard or clicking the mouse will wake the machine up. I can even boot the machine with the lid closed and it will operate at full native resolution (1680 x 1050) in clamshell mode.

As for the question about firmware... Any firmware change to the monitor would be by an update and would have to be issued by Samsung.

Regarding SwitchRes X: Sometimes it works but it's a bandaid at best since it allows the use of non-supported resolutions. You could possibly damage the monitor by using it.

Do you have another computer? I'd like to see what happens with the display resolution when attaching the Samsung to another machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, i bought the dual link dvi cable today, but still its the same problem: highest resolution remains at 1600 x 1200.

And wehen i try to run it in clamshell mode, i cant even wake up the computer when i close the lid.
Is there another way to change the resolution. In another forum i read that i have to change the firmware of the display.
Does anyone know how i can change the firmware? Can the program switchres x do that? And when yes how?
Thanks for your help,
felix
Do you see an option to select "1080p" instead in the display settings?

Reaction score
@ chscag:

i find it strage too, that it doesnt wake up anymore in clamshell, because with the dvi single cable it did wake up.
yes, i had a windows laptop before and i had no problem with the display and the resolution. everyething worked well.

@ aptmunich:

no, i dont see the option 1080p. i attached a pic how the options look like.

Any other ideas what i can do?

Bildschirmfoto 2011-05-19 um 21.30.51.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ chscag:

i find it strage too, that it doesnt wake up anymore in clamshell, because with the dvi single cable it did wake up.
yes, i had a windows laptop before and i had no problem with the display and the resolution. everyething worked well.

@ aptmunich:

no, i dont see the option 1080p. i attached a pic how the options look like.

Any other ideas what i can do?
Are you sure it's not right at the top of the list? How about if you uninstall SwitchResX, does it appear then?

Reaction score
hey aptmunich,
yes you were right, it was on the top of the list:
i attached the proof! guess thats the highest resolution now.
that was easier than i thought:) Sorry for making such an issue about that.
Thank you very much though for helping me!!

Best regards from germany,
felix

Bildschirmfoto 2011-05-19 um 22.06.23.jpg

Reaction score
its even working with the single link dvi cable!
is there a diffenrence in quality between single and dual link dvi or can i return the duallink cable i purchased?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's working OK with the single link DVI cable you can return the dual link cable unless you need it for another monitor.

Something else that comes to mind.... Did it start working OK in clamshell mode now that you have the correct resolution selected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats! Glad to hear it's working…
Yeah, return the dual link DVI cable - it might only be required for higher resolutions then…

Reaction score
its currently not working in clamshell mode... i dont know why. it used to work with the single link dvi cable before..
but i dont really need the clamshell mode, i like to work with two screens.
I will return the dual link cable tomorrow.
thanks again!
cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.