Reserve or Pre-Order

OP
I
Reaction score
"Ain't" saying Apple is unique in their restocking feel but I am saying that I will never pay a restocking fee and in general avoid vendors who charge one. Best Buy would be one of the last places on earth that I'd buy anything electronic. Four Letters - F R Y S.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Ain't" saying Apple is unique in their restocking feel but I am saying that I will never pay a restocking fee and in general avoid vendors who charge one. Best Buy would be one of the last places on earth that I'd buy anything electronic. Four Letters - F R Y S.

Before you think FRY's return policy doesn't have it's own limitations...check this out:

FRYS.com

No returns on some or all of the Apple, Compaq, HP, Intel, Mitsubishi, Sony, and Toshiba products sold by Fry's!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep - even the cool kids have limitations.

Since we're talking about Apple products (specifically the new iPad)...again...Apple is not unique when it comes to the restocking fee. Best Buy has a restocking fee...and Fry's won't even accept a return of an Apple product!

So from your earlier posting:

"If like most things I buy that can be returned within 15 to 30 days w/out a restocking fee (some would call this a rip-off) I would have no problem buying w/out trying."

...when talking about Apple products, you pretty much run into the same return issues regardless of where the Apple product is purchased.

I totally agree with you. If you feel you need to see, feel, and use an iPad before buying it...hey no problem...you gotta do what you gotta do!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is why persuade a friend to buy one and then you can play with it all you want. That's how I decided that the first iPhone was for me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't think reserving and not piling up is shady since another person can still buy it on day one if you don't.

I wish I had reserved instead of preorder, but I didn't even know it was an option. Never saw it on the website.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Didn't see it, because it didn't actually ask if you wanted to reserve one.

When you click on buy, you have to choose the option to pick it up in store rather than have it shipped. You are then informed that you have one on reserve.

OP
I
Reaction score
It probably is not too late - you can always cancel your pre-order and reserve your choice.

I'm actually now leaning towards the pre-order method just to avoid the release day store "MESS" - Not 100% sure it will be a mess but now that I have done all the research that I can do I'm fairly confident that the Ipad will be a keeper for me.

I don't think reserving and not piling up is shady since another person can still buy it on day one if you don't.

I wish I had reserved instead of preorder, but I didn't even know it was an option. Never saw it on the website.

Reaction score
I reserved because FedEx delivery in our area is horrible. Boxes are (mostly) intact, but our delivery guy has a morbid fear of doorbells. If you don't hear him come down the driveway, you may find your package sort of on the porch or sort of in the carport or sort of wherever he chooses to leave it ("sort of" because it's never left entirely under cover, just wherever he could dump it the quickest). Since rain is far from unlikely here come April 3rd, I'd rather pick it up dry and in one piece. Besides, it'll be fun to see how many other loonies are in line besides me. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you have pre-ordered your ipad I would suggest you be at home or have someone at home for you so they can pick up the ipad as it is being left at your door. If no one is home who knows, it just might go walking in someone elses hands. And I'm sure you would not want that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.