• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Reputation FAQ.

Reaction score
I guess we could look at this as a good thing because now people won't have so many questions about the rep system and will focus more on helping people and not on rep. I know people work hard for their rep and it is a nice insentive for helping people, but still it really is just a distraction. Don't worry about it KoDorSean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Absolutely. People will still know who the most helpful are without little green dots. Those members who are helpful and important part of the community will still make an impact and will be known in the forums.

Reaction score
Yes, a community like this isnt measured by how many green dots they have, but how much they help people and we have that hear already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
poof. lets just hope that post count doesnt become the next measurement that becomes a prob

The post count was removed at one time, but it is back now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i miss the reputation system. :(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i actually wouldn't mind seeing post count banished to inside people's profiles rather than on every post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sad, I sort of liked the rep system....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
aww man...
i was so close to my next lil green rectangle

M

MacHeadCase

LOL

Good one, Browny!
icon14.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I sorta felt sorry for those with a lone red dot! Made me wonder what they'd done... like having a rap sheet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
This sucks! I just got my 2nd green dot! :(

Bah, oh well..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Finally.... Now I can troll the forums without having a negative record ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
it's good to see the repp system gone. i've never understood the need for people to worship it like they do on some forums when it means so very little in the scheme of things. it doesn't measure anything besides how popular one can get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
it's good to see the repp system gone. i've never understood the need for people to worship it like they do on some forums when it means so very little in the scheme of things.

That's exactly why we got rid of it. Originally it wasn't "worshipped" as it is today, it's turned into one of those my rep is bigger than your rep things.

The same thing happened to post count back in the day and we took that away at one point as well. After a cooling off period there as well, we were able to bring it back and have had relatively no problems with post count worship since then.

I'm hoping long-term that the same can be said of the reputation system. Will it return? Hopefully, but by then I'm hoping people can see they can live their lives without it and that the rep system itself truly doesn't signify someone's worth. Awesome members are still awesome members even without a line of green dots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'll survive without the rep system, but it did help me. I have Asperger's Syndrome. I don't always know how to act socially. I'm not very good at it. I'm blind to social cues. Google Asperger's for some fun if you wish. Rep gave me a direct measure of how I was doing and I checked it often. I considered it a personal achievement that I seemed to somehow do okay here.

I have personal horror stories from the past of doing things I shouldn't have done, saying things I shouldn't have said but had absolutely no clue as to how to act. Virtually all social interactions in which I engage today are guided by internal scripts, corrected constantly. Blunders today are rare, but they happen. There's barely a social situation I attend where I don't ask a trusted individual afterwards if I was okay and if I did anything wrong. Here at Mac-Forums rep mostly served that. It was - and remains - vitally important to me to be a good citizen here.

Until now I have stayed away from discussions regarding rep, as well as MotM type things. On one hand I want to be a member in good standing while I also wish to be essentially invisible. I don't care to be popular or universally loved or anything like that. I just want to be able to come here and not feel I'm a total misfit.

The rep system is gone. Long live the Rep System. So be it. I'll survive. I always do.

M

MacHeadCase

mathogre, that only means you'll get plenty of PMs thanking you for your input in threads!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you MHC. ^_^

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mathogre, I consider you a great user here on Mac Forums. I would have never known about your problem if you had not posted it. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you dtravis7. ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.