Replacing 2017 MacBook Pro - Macbook Air vs Pro ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac OS Monterey Version 12.1
I need the help and advice of the Forum please.

I'm a pooter illiterate retired Boomer who worked the Oilfields for 44 year before retiring in 2021. So barely able to use Excel/Word and I never could do anything beyond that. I are a high tech Redneck... ha !

In retirement, I use Excel and Word from the MS Office for Mac to do simple Budgeting and nothing heavy or demanding.
Lots of Music and Movies from the iTunes and Apple TV.
Other than that it's just email, surfing and lots and lots of pictures of Grandchildren and trips.
We have iPhones - if that matters.

I have the 2017 MacBook Pro with the Evil Possessed Keyboard, the non MagSafe Power Supply that falls out now constantly and a failing battery with resultant extreme heat and intermittent failing / crashing due to battery going whacko.
The keyboard is maddening and seems to be getting worse. Typing this Post is aggravating.
My wife is mad at me as I keep putting off replacing this one.

A new keyboard and battery replacement in ~1/3 to 1/2 cost of a new machine...so there's that option out there also. But with this stupid keyboard issue I am reluctant to risk having the new keyboard start failing....

I am ready to surrender and admit that it's time for a replacement or repair but I don't know what to do?

I have always bought the upper end Macs as we keep them for as long as possible.

The cost / money is not an issue. I just want to get best machine for what I do.

I see where Apple has come out with new "Chips" for the MacBook Air and Pro's.

I think the MacBook Air is probably more than adequate for my uses and ability, but don't mind getting another MacBook Pro.

I will plan on keeping the laptop for as long as possible.

Here is the tech specs and cost for the two Options for your review - screen shots below.

I would appreciate advice on which one to purchase. Fire at will....

Thanks, gamboolman....
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.20.31.png Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 12.48.52.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In retirement, I use Excel and Word from the MS Office for Mac to do simple Budgeting and nothing heavy or demanding.
Lots of Music and Movies from the iTunes and Apple TV.
Other than that it's just email, surfing and lots and lots of pictures of Grandchildren and trips.
We have iPhones - if that matters.

I think you have overbuilt massively. My wife has a recent (M2) 15" MBA, with 8GB memory, 1TB drive and it works well for her in surfing, email, running her business and the occcasional video stream. For what you listed, an MBA is all you need. The default 16GB memory should be plenty. The drive size is dependent on how much space you are using now, but the new TB4 ports are very fast and an external SSD can take a lot of the load off the internal, so consider that. iPhoto has been replaced by Photos, but the conversion will take place for you when you migrate from the old machine, so nothing there to worry about. iTunes is replaced by a series of independent apps like Music and Podcast. You will probably want to upgrade the Office suite, but the old versions should run ok, after Rosetta2 is fired up (which will happen automatically when you try to launch an old Intel version of any software). You should be able to configure an MBA with 1TB drive as the only upgrade, for about $1900 plus tax.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the prompt reply.
We will go the Apple store tomorrow and order the MacBook Air.
I pretty well figured that would be more machine than I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Agree with Jake (MacInWIn). The MB Air will do what you want with no issues for many years to come. The MB Pro you show is WAY beyond what you need and unless you plan to do some heavy video editing!!!

I do recommend AppleCare+. If you never need it great, but if you do it is well worth it.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I do recommend AppleCare+. If you never need it great, but if you do it is well worth it.

Absolutely agree.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My wife just updated from a 2018 13" MBP to a M2 15" MBA. I too think it's the perfect choice.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Gamboolman, if you would like some suggestions re importing the data from your old Mac to the new one I have written a post on the topic here. How to create a duplicate of your old MacBook on a new MacBook

You can of course just restore all your data from a Time Machine backup (which I strongly suggest you do first anyway) during the setup process.
I like MA because what you end up with is an exact duplicate of your old Mac, you user account, your files, your system settings (Preferences), desktop images, menu bar items, Login items, all the same.

Make a decision in advance about Encryption of the HD, you will be offered that choice during setup or you can defer till later. Also you may be offered to store Documents and Desktop folders on iCloud, I recommend against this but again you can defer that.

Do feel free to ask any questions that arise.(y)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Make a decision in advance about Encryption of the HD, you will be offered that choice during setup or you can defer till later. Also you may be offered to store Documents and Desktop folders on iCloud, I recommend against this but again you can defer that.
The drive will be encrypted. No choice. But you can choose to further encrypt the key for that encryption by turning on FileVault. For the new machines, zero overhead, no impact on performance and no hassle. Your account login will unlock the FV encryption behind the scene.

And I agree that storing Desktop and Documents in the cloud is not needed, in fact, to be avoided, so look for aht option carefully. The default is, I think, ON, you will need to make sure it is OFF.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great replies and advice - thanks to all.
Yes on the Apple Care - we always get it.
It will be so nice to get away from the spastic keyboard - ha !
We will order today or tomorrow from the local Apple store.
Thank you Rod - I will see can I follow your directions.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries, any problems, queries, just ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.