Replaced LED Driver Board, Now Display won't turn off

Reaction score
I replaced the LCD Display Driver Board because of shadows at the bottom of my screen. Unfortunately, this did not improve anything. When I put the machine back together and booted up, the display now will not turn off - at all! I have to take the battery out for it to go off.

It boots up and runs just fine. It goes to sleep, the screen goes black and in about 2 seconds the screen becomes solid white. if I tap the space bar, it blinks back to black, and the password prompt comes up (as it should). The computer shuts down properly, and I went to terminal to verify this and all said success.

WHen it shuts down, the screen blinks up to white again and stays that way unless I take out the battery. Of course then it is also unplugged.

I called the supplier where I bought the replacement Display Board and a tek said he had never heard of this problem before, and that it sounded like anyway I needed a new LCD Panel since the board did not solve the shadows on my screen.

oh, and both the SMC and PRAM reset procedures have been done - to no avail, alas.

Help please!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

There is a possibility that the LCD display driver board you purchased is either defective or the wrong part. However, dealing with screen shadows and other abnormalities, it's usually best to replace the entire display assembly. How you go forward is up to you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

There is a possibility that the LCD display driver board you purchased is either defective or the wrong part. However, dealing with screen shadows and other abnormalities, it's usually best to replace the entire display assembly. How you go forward is up to you.

have been here before, just not in a long time, but thanks for the welcome anyway.

fyi, I replaced the board 2x, as the same thing happened w/the 1st one. I've not put the original back in as it is very difficult and it was suggested the panel itself might need replacing.

I have yet to find anyone anywhere in any forum that has had this issue with the display not turning off. I don't really see it as being the driver board but something else.

Anyone else want to take a gander at this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.