Repetitive Computer Freeze OSX 10.11.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
I’ve been having an issue the past few days which is driving me crazy (I’d say insane but I’m not a doctor).

My iMac spec’s are listed by my name. I am using El Capitan 10.11.4. I run Parallels 11 with Windows 10 as I am a residential designer and some of my software is Windows only.

A couple of days ago I started experiencing a slight freeze of the computer. It would occur every 10 to 15 seconds and last about 3 to 5 seconds and then return to normal until the next occurance. During this time the cursor would not move.

I logged on in another account on the iMac and could not reproduce the issue, so I figured it must be something in my main account.

I checked the internet and found numerous mention of bluetooth connectivity issues since 10.11.4. I have been using a Logitech MX Anywhere 2 bluetooth mouse for several months. I deleted the mouse from Preferences and did a repairing with my computer. I do have Logitech’s Options software installed which shows up in Preferences. I still experience the issue with the slight freeze event. Again this started somewhere around Friday of last week and had been using the mouse long before that without issues.

I tried using another Logitech mouse, which uses the Unifying Receiver. Things seem to be working fine as I have not experienced the previous issue. So it would seem I solved my problem ….

My only problem is I love the feel and use of the MX Anywhere 2 mouse. I actually have tried numerous mice including the Magic Mouse, Logitech’s Performance MX mouse and many others. Since I spend about 8-10 hours a day drawing on the computer having a comfortable mouse is important. The Anywhere 2 is the most comfortable one I’ve found. According to Logitech the Anywhere 2 is Mac compatible.

Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve changed mice this afternoon and so far things are going smoothly. I’d really like to go back to the Anywhere 2 mouse thought so I’m willing to try about anything.

Thanking you in advance for your time and sharing your knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Guess you got the answer with the Anywhere 2 not being quite everywhere. Keep checking Logitech's web site and email support asking when new drivers will be released. And for what it is worth never ever accept that 'Mac compatible' sales talk. Buy it and then see if it is compatible is the usual way things work. There was a software release for the Control Centre last September. if you have not installed that it may be worthwhile:-

http://support.logitech.com/en_au/downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've always enjoyed and used Logitech mice and the M705 I bought some years ago has been the best yet, well almost. And I'll reserve comment on what they actually now call "Mac Compatible", which seems they get labelled if they work as a basic mouse, and I usually avoid Bluetooth stuff with its lag etc., which has been my experience.

Anyway, when my M705 mouse goes goofy, I discovered if I remove the batteries and press all the buttons for about thirty seconds and then put them back in, its a smooth as ever. I also suspect some static so I wipe the mouse and my mouse pad with an anti-static dryer cloth as I don't have any spray.

Just might work for your mouse as well, maybe… ;)

Last edited:
OP
Gary Brackins
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
harry,

thank you so much, seems I forgot the obvious, go back and check for updated software. I was using Yosemite (if memory serves me correctly) when I first installed the mouse. I updated the Logitech application, but still had the same issue after installing and rebooting the computer.

I finally realized that I could connect to the mouse using the Unifying Receiver instead of BT so I tried that (the reason they call it an Anywhere mouse). So far about 5 minutes and no freeze ups. Guess I'll have to keep working to figure out what's messin' with BT. I'll have to connect a BT speaker and see if it freezes up. Right now I use a Logitech K750 Solar keyboard, so the mouse was the only thing BT currently connected.

pm-r,

thank you for your reply. I'll keep these in mind. I'll have to check out the battery trick, and will certainly give the anti-static cloth a go! That could be the trick. Right now I'm afraid to try anything since it's working, even though I previously said "I"ll try anything!"

Thanks agin to you both! Your replies were greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Gary by any chance do you have a hands free phone near your desk, particulalry an Uniden brand? These are known to cause BT interference, 2.4Ghz channel in particulalr.

OP
Gary Brackins
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have a hands free phone, but it's a Vtech DECT 6.0, which I believe is a 1.9 GHz. I'll have to give it a go and if removing the phone has any effect.

Thank you again Harry for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The sources of the 2.4Ghz channel interference can be huge these days and Apple's article only mentions some, but two that often get missed are poor quality CFL lamps and close by poor shielded motors (fridge, freezer etc.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.