removing a phone number in a backlist contact on my iPhone 8+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I hace crated a few Blacklist contacts (with silent ringtones) that I Use to enter Spam phone numbers in. So when the number calls again it shows up as a Spam caller. Unfortunately, one of the numbers I added to the contact list is not spam so I need to remove it, but don't know how. Can someone help? Note, I may have 10-20 numbers in any Blacklist contact, but just need to remove just one.
Also, can someone tell me what are the maximum numbers that can be in a contact list?

Pete

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Go into Settings > Phone > Scroll to bottom and tap on Blocked Contacts.

Now tap on Edit - top right.

A list appears with a red minus sign adjacent to all blocked contacts. Find the ONE you want to delete. Tap on the red minus sign. Then DONE.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just to add to what Ian said, blocking numbers only works if you get lots of spam calls from the same number. Most spammers fake the number, don't reuse any of them, so sending them to that list is useless. I have one number on there from a guy who kept calling me when he was drunk and consistently mis-typed his intended number as mine. That worked, but only because he was consistent. Drunk, but consistent!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys,
Unfortunately the number does not show up on the blocked list. Most, but not all, show up on the blocked list. Not sure why.
Problem solved. Just went to the Spam contact and deleted the number from the contact list. Simple solution. Must have had a senior moment.
The way I set this up is I would have a contact named "(808) Blacklist". Anytime I would get an (808) spam call, I would add that number as another "(808) Blacklist" contact. Next time it called, up its would show up as "(808) Blacklist", and can be ignored. My reason for doing this is so the caller would not know his number is blocked, because it would still ring (silent ring). Still got many more 808 spam calls. Just add them as an "(808) Blacklist" contact. Between "(808) Blacklist" and "(808 Blaclist" contacts, there are well over 100 (808) spam numbers so far. Tell me if this is a round about way of accomplishing the same thing by simply blocking the call? Also if a call is blocked, will it show up as "blocked number" or not show up at all?

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My reason for doing this is so the caller would not know his number is blocked,
Why? They don't care. It's a machine making the call. The human only comes online when you answer it. They don't care how many times it rings, or if you blocked it. You are just wasting effort to try to block them by adding them to a contacts list like that. Just put any repeat offenders on the block list, as described above.

Your number will show up if you have caller ID turned on, blocked or not. But the caller already HAS the number, it called you, so nothing lost there.

I would delete the entire blacklist thing from Contacts, just put your friends and contacts there and then do what was said in post #2, but ADD the offending caller to that list. The easiest way to do that is to let the call ring until they give up, or, if you are offered, decline the call. Then go to "Recents" on the Phone app and find the spammer. Tap the (i) beside the spam number, then scroll down until you see "Block this Caller," and tap that. Done. Blocked.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? They don't care. It's a machine making the call. The human only comes online when you answer it. They don't care how many times it rings, or if you blocked it. You are just wasting effort to try to block them by adding them to a contacts list like that. Just put any repeat offenders on the block list, as described above.

Your number will show up if you have caller ID turned on, blocked or not. But the caller already HAS the number, it called you, so nothing lost there.

I would delete the entire blacklist thing from Contacts, just put your friends and contacts there and then do what was said in post #2, but ADD the offending caller to that list. The easiest way to do that is to let the call ring until they give up, or, if you are offered, decline the call. Then go to "Recents" on the Phone app and find the spammer. Tap the (i) beside the spam number, then scroll down until you see "Block this Caller," and tap that. Done. Blocked.
One last question. If I block a number, does that mean its will no longer show up on my "recents" list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One last question. If I block a number, does that mean its will no longer show up on my "recents" list?
I don't know. I keep the "recents" list empty.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If the number is used again, then it will be blocked and shouldn't appear in recents - BUT - as many have said, the "baddy" is unlikely to use that number again. They may generate another fake number next time and that will show up.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.