Remote control of hardware and software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
This thread will focus on control of equipment and software by means of apps from Apple and other companies.

I use a Yamaha RX-A730 home theatre receiver, which may be controlled by Yamaha's AV Controller This particular version is a couple of years old and did not come with wi-fi, although a wi-fi dongle was available for it. Later versions had built-in wi-fi. Control apps are also available from other manufacturers for their equipment, but I'll be sticking to what I use.

Of necessity, the remote controls on AV receivers have a vast array of controls and, as a result, have become unwieldy and the subject of many complaints. Tiny buttons, often lacking illumination, in a darkened environment do not add very well to the experience.

Enter the control app, which replicates every function of the remote control and allows full control of the on-screen menu. Switching between sources, DSPs, adjusting volume etc. All can be done from the app, which comes in iPad and iPhone versions (there are also Android versions available).

All that needs to be done to use the app is to ensure that the receiver, the iPad/iPhone and the input source, if using AirPlay, are on the same network.

IMG_0159.jpg

The picture shows the app in use playing iTunes content from my rMBP. Normally, one could expect to see the cover art on the right side of the screen, but my tagging leaves something to be desired.

Changing DSP, or input source, is as simple as touching the appropriate icon on the screen.

OP
KevinJS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The next app I want to describe is Apple's Remote app, available free from the App Store.

It is useful for remotely controlling iTunes, and can also control AppleTV.

Remote functions in the opposite direction to Home Sharing. With iTunes running on your Mac, you simply open the app and select your library from the available options. Remote also allows control of multiple volume controls as can be seen in the following screenshots.

IMG_7707.jpg IMG_7708.jpg IMG_7709.jpg

OP
KevinJS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to go in the opposite direction to Remote, and make your entire iTunes library available on your iOS device, you can use Home Sharing. Recent versions of the Music app have buried the capability, but it is still there and functions as well as it ever did. To enable Home Sharing, go to iTunes Preferences/Sharing and ensure "Share My Library On My Local Network" is checked.

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 11.01.03 PM.png

Once that is done, you can go to the Music app on your phone and download the titles. To find the Home Sharing option, touch the word "Artists" above the list and then touch "Home Sharing" from the drop down list.

IMG_7711.jpg IMG_7710.jpg

The library will load and you can then play it on your phone, or use your phone as an input source on another system that lacks AirPlay.

OP
KevinJS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's about it for now. If anyone has any questions about any of the equipment or software, don't be afraid to ask. One question I will not be able to answer, until I've had a word with my son, is why I have a track called "Burn In ****". Some investigation is in order, methinks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice work there my friend. I was going to start a thread like this earlier today but didn't quite get around to it.

I've experimented with a couple of pieces of software/hardware trying to get things under better control.

I've got a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver which is not quite as snazzy as yours but isn't too bad. It doesn't have a separate app for controlling things though and no network access. What I wanted to do was to be able to control several pieces of gear with one remote. The ability to do macros (multiple steps from one button) was a bonus. One of the things I tried was the RedEye Mini. I never quite got it working as well as I would have liked and the support software doesn't seem to be under active development anymore.

I'm currently using the blumoo and really like it. I have not put as much time into programming and fine tuning the thing as I should. The biggest complaint I have with it is that if you let the iPad screen go to sleep you have to wake the device to do things like change channels. That's a bit of a pain with my iPad because it does not support Touch ID.

OP
KevinJS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pity about the lack of network support on the V667. It really opens up possibilities. There are some workarounds, such as plugging in a YDS 10 to the dock and using an old iPod or iPhone to grab network content.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/162143658878?lpid=116&chn=ps

Plugging an Airport Express into one of the optical inputs would also give it some networking. That's how I run my Cambridge Audio 540, feeding content to my 2 channel system.

I hadn't heard of Blumoo. I'll check that out and see what it does.

My iPad2 stays permanently awake, partly as a result of being kept in a charging dock. I may have also changed some settings to stop it falling asleep. If so, I can't remember because it would have been a long time ago.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Yamaha dock is considerably cheaper than it was a while back when I was looking at that aspect of t out. things. I solved the problem by getting a third generation Apple TV.With that setup I can stream anything from either the computer or IOS devices. I do have to do the swipe up to enable AirPlay on the device but that's about it.

The blumoo has pretty has pretty easily learned the codes for the devices I've tried so far. I have also been fairly impressed with the pace at which they have added features and responded to help requests/feature suggestions. When I first got the device we had an unrelated issue with our cable box and had to swap in a new box. The set of codes for the new box worked for most functions but left a few features either not working or only partly working.

I knew from past experience with other devices that the codes from one manufacturer's box sometimes works with other gear but it would have taken ages to test them all. I emailed Btumoo at about 3 p.m. on a Friday. In short order received a reply asking for the specific model number of the box and letting me know that it might be Monday before the issue could be addressed given the time of day. I sent the requested info and about 9:00 p.m. that same night received the model number for an alternate box that had the correct codes.

I think I am going to try keeping the iPad awake and see how I like that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW for others considering using their iPhone/iPad/Android gizmo as a virtual remote control do some research beforehand. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Although many of these device/software combinations give audible feedback when buttons are pressed there is usually no tactile feedback. Doesn't seem like a beg deal but I bet you can find the play/fast forward/rewind buttons on the DVD remote in the dark strictly by feel. Not so with these virtual remotes.

2. This can run down a battery quickly if you are a habitual channel flipper.

3. How frequently is the software updated?

4. If the setup requires extra dongles they can easily become lost. In some cases, such as the RedEye Mini if you accidentally leave home with the dongle because it's still attached to your iPad all remote functionality is lost. Even with the software installed on another device it can't function as a remote without the dongle.

5. Downloading the software to see if it has the correct codes for your gear or can easily create "macros" is next to impossible. In most cases you can download the software in advance but can't get much of a look at how the software works. The software usually doesn't fully launch without the dongle being present.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.