remembering wifi network..

Reaction score
hi,

my iPhone keeps asking me for a password to connect to my wifi..
how can I configure it so this doesn't happen..

it's an iPhone 6, I have attached screenshot of config.. don't see "remember this network" anywhere...

thank you..

Attachments

• wifi.png
    wifi.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 36

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's strange, when you join a network for the first time you are asked for the password and once connected, that password should be automatically saved and if "Auto Join" is enabled, it will keep joining the WiFi each time without being prompted.

You should try to "Forget the network" and then join again and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Which iOS version is your iPhone 6 using?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - Do not put the same issue in multiple threads. Please respond to this single thread.

OP
K
Reaction score
> You should try to "Forget the network" and then join again and see what happens.

I did.. didn't work.. don't see "remember this network" anywhere... I only see "join this network"...

:-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
> You should try to "Forget the network" and then join again and see what happens.

I did.. didn't work.. don't see "remember this network" anywhere... I only see "join this network"...

:-(

Have you shut down your iPhone completely and then started it and see if anything has changed.

Has anything changed in your area, either hardware, software or location wise?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
don't see "remember this network" anywhere
There is no remember, just the Forget function. The system should remember every network you have connected to until/unless you "forget" them. Don't know why that's not happening, but don't look for a "remember" option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K
Reaction score
OP
K
Reaction score
sometimes I see 'forget this network', sometimes I don't.. there's another network that appears on the list, that I don't want to see, when I hit 'forget this network' for that one, it still appears afterwards
(I think 'forget this network' appears only when a network is on top of the list.. or something.. I don't get this..)

at any rate: this is having no bearing on whether my wifi asks me for the password.. right now it's asking me for the password about once every 12 hours..

thank you..

There is no remember, just the Forget function. The system should remember every network you have connected to until/unless you "forget" them. Don't know why that's not happening, but don't look for a "remember" option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
at any rate: this is having no bearing on whether my wifi asks me for the password.. right now it's asking me for the password about once every 12 hours..

What have you done so far in your attempts to fix the problem???

Have you turned your wi-fi off and then back on???

Do you have another wireless setting you could try using, like 2.4ghz or the 5ghz setting if it has been set up???

Have you tried deleting your current wi-fi settings in your System Preferences -> Network i'm creating a new one???

I'm sure you have restarted your Mac, or even shutdown and rebooted yes???

I'm just trying to get an idea of what you might have done to fix the problem and added some suggestions...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
sometimes I see 'forget this network', sometimes I don't.. there's another network that appears on the list, that I don't want to see, when I hit 'forget this network' for that one, it still appears afterwards
(I think 'forget this network' appears only when a network is on top of the list.. or something.. I don't get this..)

thank you..
Networks will continue to appear, as long as you have Ask to Join Networks enabled. Turn that option Off, if you don't want to see all the Networks available for you join.

As far as the password needing to be reentered so often, that sounds like a setting on the router is the issue.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sorry my memory is so short but, if you go to the network you are on, on the right side next to the signal strength there should be an "i" inside a circle. Tap that and you should see the page headed Forget this Network. There may be variations from iOS to iOS but there should also be a switched option for Auto-Join, make sure that is turned On.
On the previous page Ask To Join Networks can be left on or off, I leave mine off because as it says on my screen, "Known Networks will be joined automatically..........." and I prefer to join other networks manually.

OP
K
Reaction score
all the obvious things that you mention yes of course I have tried..
(this is on iPhone only, on the computer it does not ask me for wifi password all the time.. and it's happened to me with other wifi I had previously......)

> Do you have another wireless setting you could try using,
> like 2.4ghz or the 5ghz setting if it has been set up???
sorry, no idea what you mean here..

thank you for your response..

What have you done so far in your attempts to fix the problem???

Have you turned your wi-fi off and then back on???

Do you have another wireless setting you could try using, like 2.4ghz or the 5ghz setting if it has been set up???

Have you tried deleting your current wi-fi settings in your System Preferences -> Network i'm creating a new one???

I'm sure you have restarted your Mac, or even shutdown and rebooted yes???

I'm just trying to get an idea of what you might have done to fix the problem and added some suggestions...

- Patrick
=======

OP
K
Reaction score
> if you go to the network you are on, on the right side next to the
> signal strength there should be an "i" inside a circle.
> Tap that and you should see the page headed Forget this Network.

of course I've done all this... I explained what happens in my previous post.. to wit:

thank you..

Sorry my memory is so short but, if you go to the network you are on, on the right side next to the signal strength there should be an "i" inside a circle. Tap that and you should see the page headed Forget this Network. There may be variations from iOS to iOS but there should also be a switched option for Auto-Join, make sure that is turned On.
On the previous page Ask To Join Networks can be left on or off, I leave mine off because as it says on my screen, "Known Networks will be joined automatically..........." and I prefer to join other networks manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.