Reinstalling OS X

Reaction score
What is the best way to wipe the hard drive and reinstall OS X? I understand the program must be downloaded as there are no reinstallation discs for sale?

Thanks

M

MacInWin

You are correct that it must be downloaded. One more question: Why do you want/need to do this? Are you having problems that we can attack before this more drastic step?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can create a local copy (USB drive with the installer) but yes, it has to be downloaded first. That said, as MacInWin notes, if you're trying to solve an issue by reinstalling OS X, there is likely an easier solution.

OP
B
Reaction score
You are correct that it must be downloaded. One more question: Why do you want/need to do this? Are you having problems that we can attack before this more drastic step?

No, just thinking ahead when/if i sell it.

Do you have a link where it can be downloaded?

OP
B
Reaction score
You can create a local copy (USB drive with the installer) but yes, it has to be downloaded first. That said, as MacInWin notes, if you're trying to solve an issue by reinstalling OS X, there is likely an easier solution.

Are you saying i don't have to purchase download from Apple?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OS X Mavericks was free, previous versions were not. However, you should have a copy of the OS that came with your machine. You may not have a disc but you do have a recovery partition which can be used to reinstall OS X free of charge.

OP
B
Reaction score
OS X Mavericks was free, previous versions were not. However, you should have a copy of the OS that came with your machine. You may not have a disc but you do have a recovery partition which can be used to reinstall OS X free of charge.

Thanks for the info but i am a newbie (especially to Macs) so please bear with me :[...

I have to locate recovery partition and download it onto a disc then use to reinstall after wiping hard drive? Where do i find the recovery download?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If all you're looking to do is reinstall, you don't have to do anything fancy (creating a USB drive is just a convenience). If you reboot the machine while holding option, you'll have the chance to choose a startup disk, one of which will be the recovery partition. If you select that, you'll be booted into the OS X installer.

OP
B
Reaction score
If all you're looking to do is reinstall, you don't have to do anything fancy (creating a USB drive is just a convenience). If you reboot the machine while holding option, you'll have the chance to choose a startup disk, one of which will be the recovery partition. If you select that, you'll be booted into the OS X installer.

Again, sorry that i am dense but will this work after i wipe the hard drive, or do i have to go there first and download onto an external DVD/CD to reinstall after the hard drive is wiped?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You boot into the recovery partition (using the key combo noted above) and from there, you use Disk Utility to wipe the drive clean. The entire process, from wiping a drive to reinstalling OS X, takes place from the recovery partition.

OP
B
Reaction score
You boot into the recovery partition (using the key combo noted above) and from there, you use Disk Utility to wipe the drive clean. The entire process, from wiping a drive to reinstalling OS X, takes place from the recovery partition.

Awesome - thanks a lot! ;D

C

chas_m

Be aware that the phrase "wipe the drive clean" is inaccurate. The recovery partition (rather obviously) is on the disk and will not wipe itself out. You would be "wiping" the majority of the disk, ie the bootable partition, clean -- not the entire hard drive, as the recovery partition cannot be erased while you are booted into it of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Be aware that the phrase "wipe the drive clean" is inaccurate. The recovery partition (rather obviously) is on the disk and will not wipe itself out. You would be "wiping" the majority of the disk, ie the bootable partition, clean -- not the entire hard drive, as the recovery partition cannot be erased while you are booted into it of course.

Thanks for picking nits and overcomplicating this, chas. Before the OP gets further confused and worried here, it really needs to be said that the Recovery Partition does not need to be removed, nor should it be. It doesn't have any personal information on it. It just allows you to download the OS for installation.

OP
B
Reaction score
To erase HD it gives me 2 choices...

Do i choose...

1 TB Apple HDD or Macintosh HD? What's the difference?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.