reinstalling from time machine

Reaction score
I have lost my mac partition and now I am scared of doing the wrong thing and losing my backup too somehow when I try to reinstall it.

I have borrowed a friends SNOW LEOPARD discs and have my time machine backup of my mac on an external drive.

Should I first install Snow Leopard and then migrate my computer across or just try and do a restore straight away ? My confusion comes from the fact that it says that you should only restore to a computer that the back up was made from. In this case it was however I fear that it might not realize that as I am using Snow Leopard discs of someone else and not my original discs that are overseas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know why you didn't wait for a response on the other thread.... but anyway, if you are just restoring from a backup, you should be able to pop in the snow leopard install disc, select the language, and then go to the menu bar to utilities and select restore from time machine backup.

Edit:
When I say pop in the SL disc, I mean Boot from the SL disc holding down the C key once you hear the chime until you see the spinning pin wheel.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanx for the advice.

the reason i have posted this question again is that i thought that the old thread mightt be moving away from the top of the list and so people wont be reading it anymore or giving answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Nahhhh.... just gotta be patient! We are all in different time zones, and cross posting just clutters up the forums. Anyway, all good.
Keep in mind that if your original discs are OS (over seas, not operating system), you can call Apple and quote the serial number of your machine to spare parts, and it could be as little as $20 to get replacement discs sent to you.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanx mate (from a fellow aussie who now lives in the middle east.)

don't think i need my original discs as im hoping its all gonna work using some snow leopard install discs i borrowed from my the guy next door, and there will be no more shenanigans involving boot camp EVER!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.