Refurbished Macbook Pro

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About to buy Macbook Pro 15
Thanks clockwork,
The new lion OS, does that make it worth waiting till the refresh ?

I was just about to buy a refurbished MBP15 but then have been reading a lot of peoples threads about wifi issues....not just here on this forum, but also on the support discussion forum for Macbook Pro's on the Apple Store site.

There are a lot of upset people with Macbooks, Macbook Pros, and Macbook Airs having wifi connectivity problems. One common denominator is the Snow Leopard OS 10.6.5 and 10.6.6

Hopefully when the new Lion OS comes out, this will resolve the issues, but until these problems are fixed, I will not be buying a Mac product.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I was just about to buy a refurbished MBP15 but then have been reading a lot of peoples threads about wifi issues....not just here on this forum, but also on the support discussion forum for Macbook Pro's on the Apple Store site.

There are a lot of upset people with Macbooks, Macbook Pros, and Macbook Airs having wifi connectivity problems. One common denominator is the Snow Leopard OS 10.6.5 and 10.6.6

Hopefully when the new Lion OS comes out, this will resolve the issues, but until these problems are fixed, I will not be buying a Mac product.

Good luck.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've not had a single problem with mine. I'm by no means an expert on networking. But we use an Apple Airport, with our iMac and Macbook Pro (running 10.6.6. on both, and also had no trouble with 10.6.5...) And there's never been a single problem. No dropped connection or any kind of issue whatsoever. Now... When we used our old Linksys router, it was NOTHING but problems... But the specific wireless router model we had was plagued with issues even with Windows. Guess the real problem for them must be the wireless router they use? Or maybe we're just lucky (highly unlikely) :) Wouldn't let it scare you.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't speak for anyone else, but I've not had a single problem with mine. I'm by no means an expert on networking. But we use an Apple Airport, with our iMac and Macbook Pro (running 10.6.6. on both, and also had no trouble with 10.6.5...) And there's never been a single problem. No dropped connection or any kind of issue whatsoever. Now... When we used our old Linksys router, it was NOTHING but problems... But the specific wireless router model we had was plagued with issues even with Windows. Guess the real problem for them must be the wireless router they use? Or maybe we're just lucky (highly unlikely) :) Wouldn't let it scare you.

Thank you for your comment, and I can appreciate your sentiment, but I am afraid it is not as simple as getting a new router. I have read pages, and pages, and pages of these complaints and they have ruled out the routers as being the culprit. There is some other issue going on here.....unfortunately, I am not smart enough to figure it out.....but then again, niether have been the other mass of people being frustrated by this problem.

I'm not trying to say that everyone is going to experience this problem, but clearly many are. Even when buying refurbished MBP's, they cost multiples of similarily equipped pc's and in my mind and now regretfully in the minds of many who are experiencing these troubles, this is too much to pay for a laptop that may not be "wifi portable".

Don't get me wrong. I love the MBP's display, the fit and finish of the unibody, the less likelyhood of virus', etc. But none of that does me any good if I cannot connect to the internet and stay connected.

I'm not giving up yet on Mac as I really want to have one, but rather taking a wait and see stance. I just hope that they don't make me wait too long or I will be forced to continue on again with PC.

Reaction score
I'll keep my eyes open for problems with mine. But it was exactly that simple indeed :) (for us :) ) Works perfectly at home, the hospital (where I work full time) and the Library in our town and the next closest. Fingers crossed for no more trouble! And for a fix for everyone else!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Good luck.

Not sure if you realise this, but there are millions of people using Macs with 10.6 that are happily enjoying their Macs.
I've had Macs for many years, and never had any issues with wifi, other than a faulty router and dodgy internet providers.
My whole family has Macs, as too does my brother's business, as well as quite a few of my friends.
We are all running 10.6.
Just in my family, there are more than 10 Macs running 10.6 with no issues.

My point is that people in general only get on forums when they are having problems. It is way less common for people to get on line to say how much they love their product, be it a Mac, a TV, a car, etc.
You get the gist of it.

Pick a car, pick a problem, and google it, and I am sure that something with come up.

I don't have the figures, but I know most people using Macs running 10.6 are having no problems, and I know that there are millions and millions of them.

No_Regrets, your reasoning for not purchasing a Mac, or suggesting to others that they don't, is unfounded, and holds no weight.
Not to mention Apple's high standard of customer care and post sales service, there is really nothing to even think about.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if you realise this, but there are millions of people using Macs with 10.6 that are happily enjoying their Macs.
I've had Macs for many years, and never had any issues with wifi, other than a faulty router and dodgy internet providers.
My whole family has Macs, as too does my brother's business, as well as quite a few of my friends.
We are all running 10.6.
Just in my family, there are more than 10 Macs running 10.6 with no issues.

My point is that people in general only get on forums when they are having problems. It is way less common for people to get on line to say how much they love their product, be it a Mac, a TV, a car, etc.
You get the gist of it.

Pick a car, pick a problem, and google it, and I am sure that something with come up.

I don't have the figures, but I know most people using Macs running 10.6 are having no problems, and I know that there are millions and millions of them.

No_Regrets, your reasoning for not purchasing a Mac, or suggesting to others that they don't, is unfounded, and holds no weight.
Not to mention Apple's high standard of customer care and post sales service, there is really nothing to even think about.

Hello 6string,

I do realise that there are many people enjoying their Mac products and that are not experiencing this problem. That is why I had said in a previous post..."I'm not trying to say that everyone is going to experience this problem, but clearly many are."

I do not know what the real culprit to this problem is, but from reading the many pages of people complaining about this issue, it has not been the wireless router causing the problem for many of these people. There have been many suggestions made to try and help these people, but for many, the suggestions have not helped, which is why I also had said...."There is some other issue going on here.....unfortunately, I am not smart enough to figure it out.....but then again, niether have been the other mass of people being frustrated by this problem."

For you to say the following..."No_Regrets, your reasoning for not purchasing a Mac, or suggesting to others that they don't, is unfounded, and holds no weight...." First of all, I have never suggested to anyone not to purchase a Mac, I simply said ... " Hopefully when the new Lion OS comes out, this will resolve the issues, but until these problems are fixed, I will not be buying a Mac product. Good luck." and in my next post I said ..." I'm not giving up yet on Mac as I really want to have one, but rather taking a wait and see stance. I just hope that they don't make me wait too long or I will be forced to continue on again with PC." Furthermore, all you have to do is Google wifi issues with Macbook Pro and you will find at least 16 full pages of hits with many people being frustrated with this issue, not to mention all of the complaints on the actual Apple Store website.....I'm willing to bet that most of these peple would beg to differ with your statement of these problems being unfounded and holding no weight.

I'm sure that Apple's customer service rivals many of it's competitors, however, it is possible that it may be lacking at least in this one particular area otherwise I don't think I would be reading so many comments in this regard. I do not know if you have taken the time to read through many of the posts written out there (as it would indeed take a long time to do so as there are so many out there) but if you did, I think there would be a better chance of you understanding some other people's point of view. Here is a link to just one of many threads on Apple's very own website. Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro Losing Airport connectivity ...
Take a look.

I am very happy that you and many of your family and friends are not having to suffer the frustrations that many other people are. I hope that one day I, along with others, will be able to say the same.

Best wishes,
No Regrets

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.