• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Red Bull Stratos ~ Jumping from the edge of Space !!!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hurtling through the atmosphere at 1300 km/h from 39km up. Count me out. I'm amazed that he kept his composure the entire time (this could just be me though, haha).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Next time I feel queazy about jumping a few feet, I will think of this jump.

There's one thing that aggravated me after the jump though. The commentators kept on regurgitating crap about how it was unfortunate that he didn't break the longest time in free fall. That's kind of hard to do, especially when you're trying to break the fastest free-fall speed record, Sherlock! He could have slowed down to take up more time during free-fall, but would have lost the speed record. That time record is as good as useless in my opinion.
Congrats Felix! That was one amazing jump!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Next time I feel queazy about jumping a few feet, I will think of this jump.

There's one thing that aggravated me after the jump though. The commentators kept on regurgitating crap about how it was unfortunate that he didn't break the longest time in free fall. That's kind of hard to do, especially when you're trying to break the fastest free-fall speed record, Sherlock! He could have slowed down to take up more time during free-fall, but would have lost the speed record. That time record is as good as useless in my opinion.
Congrats Felix! That was one amazing jump!

I agree!

You can't have everything, and the way it started with that spin, it's fortunate he didn't set a record for the highest free fall landing speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You can't have everything, and the way it started with that spin, it's fortunate he did set a record for the highest free fall landing speed.

I think that's what you meant to say.
Can you imagine falling at 833.9Mph? That's just insane!!
Falling at Mach 1.2? That's an awesome feat!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think that's what you meant to say.
Can you imagine falling at 833.9Mph? That's just insane!!
Falling at Mach 1.2? That's an awesome feat!

No . . . I meant what I said, as in he didn't impact the ground head first at 833.9 Mph. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
for reference...
grab your desktop globe (wait you dont have one?) and picture this...
if the globe is 12 inches in diameter he jumped from about 1 mm from the surface.

Reaction score
I didn't realize until now that this was a publicity stunt for an energy drink. Not that this won't be an amazing achievement if he pulls it off, but having Red Bull's name all over it just kills my interest.

Yeah and the fact it was actually barely half way to space made me dislike REDBULL a lot.

Not to discredit Mr Baumgartner on his acheivement. Breaking the sound barrier by falling, what a great mkan and an inspiration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yeah and the fact it was actually barely half way to space made me dislike REDBULL a lot.

Not to discredit Mr Baumgartner on his acheivement. Breaking the sound barrier by falling, what a great mkan and an inspiration.

Umm...Karman Line, look it up. If you think you can reach space in a weather ballon, and come down alive, I'll pay you to do it.

There's a reason it was called Stratos. The stratosphere is the highest level in our atmosphere that allows for safe weather-ballooning.

Also, space isn't defined as a distance from an object, say Earth. Space is what follows after you reach the lowest quantity of gravity that allows something to circle around an object on its own without needed propulsion. Try reaching space and coming down on your own. If you made it up, I guarantee you'll get the workout of your life.

Reaction score
I know about the karmen line.

If you ask anybody that has less than a basic knowledge they will tell you he jumped "from the edge of space"

I'm pretty sure he didn';t and it was all a big advert on behalf of redbull.

Also, i apologise to everyone for my poor attemp to hide my bad language earlier in this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.