• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Recovering

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last Tuesday I had my first Laparoscopic surgical procedure to repair bilateral inguinal hernias X 2.
Not only that but it was in a new surgical centre only 9 min from home that had only opened the day before. What an amazing experience. When they rolled me into the theatre it was like entering the science wing of a spaceship. My final thought as I lost consciousness was, it's just like a new car. You know, when everything is new and shiny, not because it's been thoroughly cleaned but because it's never been dirty. I was one of only two patients staying over night in a 30 bed ward so I got heaps of attention. The surgeon rang my wife personally after the op to tell her I was fine and all had gone well. The care was wonderful, the bed was comfortable even the food was okay and everything just worked. Obviously I'm home now and yes, there is some pain and discomfort plus bruising in some places I'm happy to say I've never been bruised before but they gave me plenty of pain killers on d/c so I've just got to "cope" with 3-4 days of bed rest.

So, I've updated my MBP (thanks Jake) and my iPhone, iPad an Watch as suggested and spending some pleasant time reading an writing on forums using my (new to me) iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Reaction score
Get all better soon!

I used to be a surgical med tech. I'm blown away by how far medical technology has come. They don't even make big incisions for surgical procedures how. The incisions used to be the worse part of the heal ing process.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks for your kind wishes. I agree, I've had both methods and despite the tenderness and referred pain from the inflation used in abdominal Laparoscopy no severed muscles, I've only got three tiny incisions covered with dressings the size of a BandAid no sutures at all.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Rod I'm glad you are on the mend and recovering at home now. Don't try to do too much too soon. Here's to a quick and complete recovery.

@Randy, I too marvel at some of the technological advances in medicine during my lifetime. This allows us to effectively treat conditions that would have significantly impacted quality of life. I had corneal transplant surgery in the late 1980s as an outpatient procedure. About a decade before that same surgery involved about a week of in-hospital recovery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.