Recovered Messages in Mac Mailbox - How to Best Handle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - I'm on Apple Mail in Sonoma and trying to rid myself of old emails (e.g. in the Sent folders) on my Yahoo account (signing in on a browser) and on my Mac laptop - on the latter in Mail, I came across the 'Recovered Messages' mailbox (first pic below - LINK) - looking in this mailbox (2nd pic) I have 2,693 messages dating back to 2016 (most of these were likely deleted, so I don't want to really move them) - rebuilding that mailbox did nothing - can I simply delete these inside that mailbox and not expect them to be repopulated in some fashion? Thanks for comments and help. Dave

RecoveredMailMac1.png RecoveredMailMac2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I found when using Apple mail that "on my Mac" saved some emails, these are as described on your Mac, so not on the server, and if you delete them, and empty your deleted folder these should go.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found when using Apple mail that "on my Mac" saved some emails, these are as described on your Mac, so not on the server, and if you delete them, and empty your deleted folder these should go.
Thanks Jimmy - for a trial I deleted 3 messages in the 'Recovered Messages' mailbox, where they went to the 'Trash' folder within 'On My Mac' - emptied that folder and poof, seem to be gone - will work on more later today. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Once you have them all deleted and are happy with it, rebuild the mail database to recover the disk space.

Mail>Mailbox>Rebuild

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you have them all deleted and are happy with it, rebuild the mail database to recover the disk space.

Mail>Mailbox>Rebuild
Thanks Jake - should I be in the 'Recovered Messages' mailbox when I issue that command - I'm assuming that it's meant for individual mailboxes on the Mac or otherwise? Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Wondering what constitutes a "Mailbox"? Is iCloud one mailbox or is it Inbox, sent, drafts, junk, etc, are they all mailboxes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wondering what constitutes a "Mailbox"? Is iCloud one mailbox or is it Inbox, sent, drafts, junk, etc, are they all mailboxes?
It seems that within Apple Mail each folder is called a Mailbox, coming from windows, initially this was difficult to grasp, but it is just Apple terminology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems that within Apple Mail each folder is called a Mailbox, coming from windows, initially this was difficult to grasp, but it is just Apple terminology.
That is kind of simplistic. In addition to the various folders for inbox, sent, draft, junk, trash, etc., there are other folders that hold the attachments for each message in any and all of those folders. And those attachments are linked by Mail to the individual messages to which they are attached.

It looks a lot more simple than it really is. Mucking about in the internals of Mail is risky business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is kind of simplistic. In addition to the various folders for inbox, sent, draft, junk, trash, etc., there are other folders that hold the attachments for each message in any and all of those folders. And those attachments are linked by Mail to the individual messages to which they are attached.

It looks a lot more simple than it really is. Mucking about in the internals of Mail is risky business.
Do it on your IMAP server, and it is guaranteed to spread across all your devices, assuming you use IMAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do it on your IMAP server, and it is guaranteed to spread across all your devices, assuming you use IMAP.
Do what? I didn't make any suggestions for anything to do, other than to be careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do what? I didn't make any suggestions for anything to do, other than to be careful.
You mentioned the risk of mucking about in the internals of Mail, which I do not disagree with and therefore suggested making the change in your IMAP server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.