Recording audio to my Mac from a PC computer frequency generator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
I would like to record some frequencies from my PC audio out (headphone jack) into the headphone jack on my Mac.
I tried in Grageband but could not figure out what settings.

Is this doable?

Would I use Garageband or another choice?

krs

Reaction score
Depends on the exact version of Mac you have, so please post your exact model number.

On the Mac you need an input port - the headphone jack is usually just an output but some also accommodate a mike with a 4-position plug.
Or you might be able to use a USB port as an input with an appropriate adapter.
Or link the PC and Mac in some other fashion - but first thing we need is the exact Mac model.

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Thanks krs,

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Catalina 10.15.4
Latest garageband or audacity
(as per signature)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I assume that the Mac you want to use is the 2015 iMac in your signature.

If that's the case there are a few things to work around before you attempt to use any audio recording program. The audio jack on that iMac is a combined headphone jack and mic input. If you use a standard 3.5 mm audio cable that fits the jack it won't work as a mic even though the mac will recognize it as a headset. you do have a couple of options:

1. instead of a standard 3.5 mm. cable use a 3.5 mm. 4 pole cable such as this one (outdated Amazon link removed). Notice that the tip is divided into four sections where most cables like this are divided into three. Once the connections are made you can use any recording software you prefer. This should work but I can't test it at the moment.

2. You could use a standard 3.5 mm. audio cable to make the connection but you would probably want to use a USB audio interface and bypass the iMac headphone jack altogether. Run the cable from the headphone port on the PC to the mic port on the USB audio interface.

krs

Reaction score
I assume that the Mac you want to use is the 2015 iMac in your signature.

If that's the case there are a few things to work around before you attempt to use any audio recording program. The audio jack on that iMac is a combined headphone jack and mic input.
Where did you find that information?
That the jack on that iMac is a combined headphone/mike input type.
MacTracker shows it as an output only but including optical and 'every mac' doesn't even reference the headphone jack - at least not as far as I could find.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's entirely possible I misunderstood the specs but here's what the spec sheet says
Audio
  • Stereo speakers
  • Dual microphones
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack
    • Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
See this Apple page
If I remember correctly that Jack will work as a mic if one uses a 4 pole cable such as the one I linked to earlier. I'm not sure about that though and can't confirm it at the moment. I have that iMac but haven't used that jack as a mic.

krs

Reaction score
@Slydude
You are absolutely correct.
The Apple spec is pretty clear - a 4-pole plug should work to pick up the mike input of that jack.
MacTracker failed to include that important second part of the headphone jack spec:
"Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone"

The only possible 'gotcha' are impedance and level matches between PC output and Mac input, but a simple cable connection would be the first thing to try.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Slydude
You are absolutely correct.
The Apple spec is pretty clear - a 4-pole plug should work to pick up the mike input of that jack.
I'm going to frame that and post it where SWMBO can see it. Unfortunately, my genius goes unrecognized at home.:)

Actually, I can't take too much credit for knowing that. I have the same machine. I probably wouldn't have remembered that little tidbit but I looked it up for a previous thread. Even so, I had to check it again.

krs

Reaction score
Only frame the portion without the cable you linked to - because that cable won't work for this application.

In this type of cable you linked to, with a TRRS male connector on either end, leads are connected on a one-to-one basis.
Tip to Tip, Ring 1 to Ring 1 etc.
What will happen if you plug that into the PC on one side and the Mac on the other side is that you connect the two headphone outputs to each other which is not a good idea at all - could damage one or both outputs.
On the PC the sleeve would be ground, that ground would connect to Ring 2 and the Sleeve on the Mac.
Sleeve on the Mac is the mike input so in the best scenario, nothing will happen.

What is needed is an adapter that connects the tip and ring of the male connector that plugs into the PC to the sleeve (Mac mike input) of the 4-pole male connector that plugs into the Mac.
And also possibly a connection for the ground between the sleeve of the male connector that plugs into the PC and Ring 2 of the male connector that plugs into the Mac (Ring 2 is ground on the Mac side).

PS: I did a quick search for an adapter cable like that but didn't come across anything suitable.
It seems one needs at least an adapter plus a cable.
May be easier to just get a $10/$15 USB audio adapter

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for pointing that out. I learn something new every day. I don't spend a lot of time doing audio on the PC, or anything else if I can help it, so I didn't know that wiring difference.

In that case, a USB audio adapter should work when used with a standard 3.5 mm. male to male cable. The USB adapter I linked to above should work. Some of these things specifically say they do not work with Macs, for whatever reason,

krs

Reaction score
In that case, a USB audio adapter should work when used with a standard 3.5 mm. male to male cable. The USB adapter I linked to above should work. Some of these things specifically say they do not work with Macs, for whatever reason,
I didn't realize that you also linked to a USB Audio adapter.
In this forum, links in the text don't show for me on my monitor as a distinct different colour and they are also not underlined.
But yes, that USB audio adapter you linked to and a standard TRS 3.5mm cable from PC to the adapter should work

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In this forum, links in the text don't show for me on my monitor as a distinct different colour and they are also not underlined.

Yes, that's also the same for me. Which is why I do not use links the same as Sly does. Although I know what he's doing, others may not. (like yourself)

I recommend keeping references and links separate from the dialog. That makes it easier for others.

krs

Reaction score
Well.... I know what Sly is doing and how to set a link up that way, but I have to run my mouse over the text to pick up those links.
It should be easy enough to set up the forum software to make text that references a link more visible.
---------------

Back on topic - I hope flyboy posts back with what worked in the end because this subject, recording audio on a Mac, has come up a few times in this forum.
Would be nice to know if a USB adapter like the one linked to actually works well.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot about the links being a bit harder to read when they are embedded in the text like that. I'll try and remember not to do that going forward. Interestingly enough, it seems to me as I re-read the thread that sometimes that link is easier to see than others. Could be my imagination.

The last time I used one of those, it was the iMic from Griffin Technologies. Given the number of times I've seen them listed as unavailable, I don't think they are made anymore. I haven't tried some of the devices like the one I linked to so I can't say how well they work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I forgot about the links being a bit harder to read when they are embedded in the text like that. I'll try and remember not to do that going forward. Interestingly enough, it seems to me as I re-read the thread that sometimes that link is easier to see than others. Could be my imagination.

Hey Sly:

Keep in mind that many of us are using "Dark Mode". Your links are pretty much impossible to see from that mode.

Charlie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That might explain things. I wouldn't have noticed that since I don't use Dark Mode. I've tried it a few times on both the Mac and iPhone but just can't learn to like it.

I find it hard on the eyes, but that's more likely a personal preference on my part.

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.... I know what Sly is doing and how to set a link up that way, but I have to run my mouse over the text to pick up those links.
It should be easy enough to set up the forum software to make text that references a link more visible.
---------------

Back on topic - I hope flyboy posts back with what worked in the end because this subject, recording audio on a Mac, has come up a few times in this forum.
Would be nice to know if a USB adapter like the one linked to actually works well.
Thanks for the answers and discussion. I got a much better answer than I could have wished for! I will check out my music store to see what they have. About the sleeve and two rings and tip, who'd a known. Not me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To be honest, the dark red color of the embedded link is almost undetectable for me. I only know a link is there if I hover over each word in the post. Surely there is another color other than deep, dark red (almost black) that we could use to show links?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surely there is another color other than deep, dark red (almost black) that we could use to show links?

I hear you Jake. As I related to Sly the "MF Dark" option makes those links almost impossible to see. I'm thinking that any color we use will be masked when in dark mode.

Another glitch that we may run into trying to change link color is if the XenForo software cooperates. Looking thru another XenForo forum leads me to believe that making links stand out better is not as easy as it sounds.

krs

Reaction score
Looking thru another XenForo forum leads me to believe that making links stand out better is not as easy as it sounds.
Yes - it sure seems more complicated than it should be.
I came across this a short while ago:

One would think that the default colour, which I assume this is in this forum, would offer much more contrast with the rest of the text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.