Recent PC to Mac switchers, help me out

OP
J

Jason

dirtydog said:
Maybe you should consider having the OS on its own partition, and your valuable data on another partition, so that reinstalling the OS doesn't mean you lose data. Also backup your data regularly if it's important. That goes for Windows as well as OS X or any other OS; hard drives can and do fail without any warning.

Windows XP - on a good hardware platform, with no faulty or unreliable components - and using all signed device drivers (WHQL approved) is as solid as a rock imho.
Definitely store your data on a separate partition or physical drive if possible.

I've been using my XP PC since 2001 and have had to reinstall XP only once. I've never had virus problems and spyware was the reason I did the reinstall. I can honestly say XP is pretty good, as long as you take care of your install and know what you're doing on the web.

I still can't wait to get my PowerBook though! :D

OP
S

Stefan T.

Since that time I have actually gotten a new drive put into my computer and most of my important stuff was on it. Still, I can't access it without the OS on the other drive and it was all a pain. Needless to say, that I am not the one that fixed it, I got my dad and brother to look into it as I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to start.

Stefan

OP
D

Desolate One

Stefan T. said:
Hi all,

I really want to make the switch from PC to Mac, as my Windows ME (yes I know its crap) has failed me one too many times. Yet I am hesitant because I do not know what to expect in the change.

I'd apreciate if recent switchers from PC to Mac could tell me what where their impressions of it. If they could tell me:

-why the made the switch?
-what Mac they got and what PC they had
-what do they use the Mac for?
-Problems ajusting to OS
-first impressions
-Are you happy with the switch?

Also please add anything else that you have learned/experienced in switching from one and to the next.

Thank you all very much for your help,

Stefan

-I used a friend's iBook, bought one the next morning.

-iBook G4, still have several PCs around thr house doing various things- all custom built.

-I use the iBook for everything. I think the only time I use a PC is when I'm at a friends house.

-No problems at all.

-My first impression, "This is too good to be true."

-Definitely.

One thing I've definitely been taking advantage of w/ my Mac is keyboard shortcuts. Never used them much in Windows, I was too mouse-dependant as many Windows users have become. With the Mac the shortcuts are so logical it seemed like second nature to pick up.

The only thing you should expect in the switch is a much better computer using experience. I can't tell you how much more time I have to actually use the system rather then running maintenance.

OP
M

mojo17

Stefan T. said:
Hi all,

I really want to make the switch from PC to Mac, as my Windows ME (yes I know its crap) has failed me one too many times. Yet I am hesitant because I do not know what to expect in the change.

I'd apreciate if recent switchers from PC to Mac could tell me what where their impressions of it. If they could tell me:

-what Mac they got and what PC they had
-what do they use the Mac for?
-Problems ajusting to OS
-first impressions
-Are you happy with the switch?

Also please add anything else that you have learned/experienced in switching from one and to the next.

Thank you all very much for your help,

Stefan

1. Not officially "switching" just expanding to another OS. Initially I was intrigued and the freakin PB I ordered is just **** sexy. Just like a puppy, it picks up chicks.
2. I ordered a 12" PB 1.33, 256, combo. Still have a P4 1.8 desktop at home, Dell D800 notebook for work.
3. I will mainly use it for surfing, email, an some general video editing.
4. Don't know yet. I have not recieved the notebook yet.
5. NA
6. NA

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
mojo17 said:
1. Not officially "switching" just expanding to another OS. Initially I was intrigued and the freakin PB I ordered is just **** sexy. Just like a puppy, it picks up chicks.

Show me an Apple that isn't! Mind you picking up chicks with a Dual 2Ghz PowerMac is not doing my back any favours at all. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
S

*SquALED*

Why I switched - XP on Toshiba dies for the 2nd time in 8 months. Fed up of constant formatting.
Which one - 20" G5 iMac 512Mg Ram - killer looks.
Use it for - Website work, surfing, general arsing about
Problems adjusting - Well I've only had it 2 days at the mo lol but no, not too many really.
First impressions - Coooool.
Happy - Yeeeep. although the speaking clock (How cool is that?..sorry) scares the wife hehe
....Sq

OP
I

iDVFH.

Even though I loved the setup automatically, it took about a week to get used to. It'z amazing how much you learn everyday from just fooliong around with the buttons and programs..I thought that Macs came with hardly any software but I was wrong..Play with your Mac for like 3 weeks then go play with a Windows laptop and you'll be a Mac user forever! lol :p

OP
I

iDVFH.

dirtydog said:
Maybe you should consider having the OS on its own partition, and your valuable data on another partition, so that reinstalling the OS doesn't mean you lose data. Also backup your data regularly if it's important. That goes for Windows as well as OS X or any other OS; hard drives can and do fail without any warning.

Windows XP - on a good hardware platform, with no faulty or unreliable components - and using all signed device drivers (WHQL approved) is as solid as a rock imho.

Windows XP no matter how you put will never compare to the stability of OSX. All of my friends who have BRAND NEW laptops that run Windows have experienced problems already. We all know that Windows is not totally secure but I think the main problem for Windows is that it's really slow..IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
1. Tired of the usual (make sure virus definitions are up to date, scan for spyware, needing the latest and greatest hardware to run programs). I'd gown especially tired of Windows when SP2 crashed my system 3 times. It seemed like every 3 months I was reformatting my hard drive. I'd been trying to shake Windows for about 4 years via Linux, but always ended up going back to Windows. Linux just didn't do it for me. The more I read about Mac OS X, the more I liked it. And after trying Mac OS X, I found it was the missing link; the stability and security of Unix with the compatablitiy of Windows.

2. I went with the Mac Mini. Which I like so much it's become my main computer. I'm selling the Athlon based PC I have. It was something I built for myself..

3. I use the Mini for simple tasks, which is why I went with it. My computing needs are quite simple; word processing, email, web surfing, light photo editing, and mp3's. The Mini handles all of the above without a hitch. It started to not make sense to have this big, loud, space consuming, beige tower for such tasks.

4. So far I've had no gripes adjusting to the OS. Expect to 'think different' when using Mac OS.

5. First impression, everything does 'just work'. All I did was plug it in and I was all set. No drivers to install, imagine that. Doing administrative tasks such as setting user permissions is as easy as sending email.

6. I am definitely happy I made the switch. When you have a company that builds it's own computers and writes it's own OS to run on those computer, you can't go wrong.

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Well...I'm still in the midst of a switch. I've still got my old machine here and my wife's old laptop. We're still waiting on her Mini. Overall...I'd say that I've been pretty pleased. There are some things that I must say that kinda irk me...but not overly so:

Printer Support - Fanboys can say what they want...but XP has got better hardware support by several country miles. (Not that this isn't due to market factors, etc...regardless it's simply true) Everything I have from my Sony External DVD+-RW to my Canon Digital Rebel has worked as it should...with the exception of my printer. I've got a Lexmark X6170 printer that I can't get working no matter what. Now I'm sure...many peeps are gonna sit here and say things like "That's Lexmark's fault!" or "Lexmark suxors!", but I'm here to tell you that it's been a good little unit for me under XP. Sure you may get better performance with seperate units for scannng and printing...but if you've got limited space like I do...it's a great little machine. But it's useless to me if I switch...absolutely no Mac support.

Mouse support - I've got a Logitech MX900 bluetooth mouse that performs fine for basic functions...but if I want to use the extra buttons and features? Guess what...read above the printer and replace with this logitech mouse...I'm outta luck there too apparently.

Bluetooth phone support - I've got an Ngage (No jokes please :p ) that I use quite a bit...but as with the above issues...it appears there is no support for Mac OS X for some of it's functions.

ATI USB 2.0 Wonder no workie as well...which is quite a bummer seeing how it looks exactly like that elgato thingie...and I sure was hoping to have it work with the Mini.

So as you can see my main gripes are interoperability and compatibility with various pieces of hardware. Don't think I'm trying to swear you off of Mac OS X...but if you're really a switcher you should be aware of these types of issues. You're likely to come across a few yourself. Even with the issues I'm still switching...but every individual is different. Some of these issues may have prevented another person from switching...you must decide for yourself after carefully examining your own situation.

OP
T

Thud

My new mini didn't have drivers for my Canon i860 photo printer either... I was able to locate drivers online and install them though. Still seems like a fairly common printer that's been out for a while, strange that it's not on Apple's list.

OP
S

shew

I ended up going for a mac after spending an age trying to put together an amd system - something just wasnt right and it got to the point where the time vs money scale started to get beyond a joke. About the same time i got shown an advertisement for the new Mac Mini - a small, cheap mac that should do most of what I ask...

I have been bery impressed. There have been a few hassles and it seems like some of the software I need will have to stay on my 5 year old windows laptop. Some of the hardware issues I have come accross are:
1. My printer (Epson C46) needs special GIMP-Print drivers to work which seem to be decidedly user-unfriendly compared to the windows ones shipped with the printer but does actually print
2. I have a British USB keyboard made by a company other than Apple. The obvious problem of windows key vs option key I could deal with but various other symbol keys (\, ", @, #, etc) where in random places. Apple's support people where useless but a bit of hunting in Google revealed a British-Windows keyboard map file that i had to copy into my system.
3. My Sony NetMD walkman doesnt have any Mac software available so i'll once again have to crack out my aging laptop for making MiniDiscs.
4. The Mac seems to have issues in going to sleep on its own but where its so small and quiet, its not exactly the end of the world.

Even though these have been a bit of a downer I really think that these have been nothing compared to the hassle of getting a Windows machine up and running.

OP
M

money69

I recently switched, this is the first mac I ever bought, I originally intrigued because I was planning on opening a new business office and wanted some basic computers in the neighborhood of around $500 or so, I was tired of all the crap on my windows computer so I decided to buy a mac mini, I figured at the very least I would use it as an internet box, I have since fully moved over to my mac, I have not touched my windows machine except for moving some more files over to my new mac mini. I have since ordered another mac mini and purchased an ipod. My mac mini works and is very comparable to my windows computer, even a little faster I would say, I had a P4 1.6GHZ with 256mb ram. Needless to say I am really happy with my windows computer and dont plan on going back anytime soon. hope this helps, I look forward to purchasing more macs in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I've had my Mac for over a year now and wouldn't buy another PC. I have a XP box with better specs than my Mac but comparisons on specs only are a waste of time. OSX 3.8 is fast, stable and optimised for the hardware. (G4 eMac, 510 ram 80 gig HD & Super drive)

I like books so I bought 'The Missing Manual for Panther' by David Pogue to find out more about the OS, worth every cent. :flower:

Sit in front of your Mac, relax and forget what you used to do with windows, it's logical, Drag & Drop rules and it's fun. Help is well written and available 100% of the time. The installed software has far more options than expected (some well hidden) and half the freeware I had to install on the XP is already there.
The Digital color meter in Utilities is great. The built in spell checker is too plus when typing in a cocoa program eg. Text Edit and you can only remember the first few letters hit F5 or option esc and a list of words will appear, Fun.
Try Control Option Command 8, repeat to put the desk top back to normal :) There's heaps more to have fun with.

I have found I use keyboard short cuts far more than I used too and I'm actually using the Mac mouse now (shock/horror) after buying a 3 button scroll one. ymmd.

The XP was used by my husband but I now have to chuck him off my Mac.
Not having to run antivirus / anti malware etc has already been mentioned but it sure saves time.

My old printer (bought for '98) doesn't have Mac drivers available, I could have mucked around with a parallel to USB cable and tried other drivers but as I wanted a scanner I've have just bought a new Canon Pixma 110 scanner/printer. Just installed all the Mac software from the Mac CD supplied to play with, works very well.

Have fun with whatever you use, I've found the one I'm happy with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Why made the switch:
I switced because I was in the market for a new home computer and my brothers have been telling me for years to try a Mac.

What Mac they got and what PC they had:
I got the 17" iMac G5 with 1GB of Ram and 80GB hard drive 1.8 ghz. I was so impressed that I also ditched my HP laptop and got a 12" G4 Powerbook. I had an HP media center pc.

What do they use the mac for?
EVERYTHING. The compatability issue is non-existent

Problems adjusting to OS
None, so smooth and easy.

First impressions:
Mind was blown

Are you happy with the switch:
Will never own a windows PC again. Couldn't be happier!!

OP
F

falltime

Aptmunich said:

I made the switch because my PC was getting long in the tooth and was approaching its usual 6 month format c:/ deadline that I couldn't be bothered with anymore

Understand that if you call us (Apple) because the storage I/O was a little sluggish (from fragmentation) on your OS X based Mac, we'd immediately tell you to format. Norton SD isn't reliable.

Serious video editors are recommended to format twice a month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.