Reaching back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Last nite I was looking for some old photo's on my dedicated Photo HD but couldn't find them, also missing from my iMac's hard drive or Laptop. Then I remembered, I have the last Mac, a QuickSilver out in the garage. The video card died, and I'm thinking that there might be stuff on the hard drive.

So, here's my question, can I fire up the QuickSilver, No monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, wait a few ticks then plug in the laptop via a firewire and see the QuickSilver's hard drive?

Thanks

KKKKFL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, here's my question, can I fire up the QuickSilver, No monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, wait a few ticks then plug in the laptop via a firewire and see the QuickSilver's hard drive?

All you can do is try...won't know till you do it. You would use "Target Disk Mode":

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

...you need to hook up a keyboard to the Quicksilver...because part of the Target Disk Mode process is holding down the "T" key.

You could also remove the hard drive from the Quicksilver, put it into an external case HD case, and connect it via USB to your iMac.

But if the firewire idea works, that would be faster & cheaper.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Trick or Treat... Then pack up that old nasty Quicksilver and send it to me.;D

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Can it be used without a video?

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Its just a box of parts to mix with other parts to make one Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
You're welcome to it, I live in Northern Virginia. Stop by and pick it up, but you should know that in trying to do the target mode thing it started making weird clunking noises. The "T" mode started to work, in that I got the icon to show up once, but then I couldn't access the data and when I tried to re-start the chimes never sounded. I wound up getting a Hard drive encloser which worked fine. I was able to recover the files I wanted.

One thing did pop up. The connector for the hard drive from the QuickSilver was a single two rows of pins which I found the mate to in the encloser, however, when I tried to plug in the old hard drive from the iMac, it had a different connector. Is there an adapter available?

Thanks.

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.