Random noises/voices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If you be so kind, can you link me the page? Thank you.

Near the top of each M-F (you know now :)) page is Search. It's a bit of a lottery I'm afraid because the keyword is .... the *key* word. From memory I used 'strange sounds' and was presented with a huge array of choices. It was either 09, maybe 08, when I first encountered a post about unwanted noises. It cropped up again some months later, but sorry, I can't locate it without spending time I don't have.

Do you have, or do you know how to activate, a sound recording app on your Mac? The best by far is WireTap, but it's expensive. Audacity is free, and I think some have used Garageband. What I'm suggesting is that you record these mystery voices. If you're successful, let us know, and we'll work out some way of making the audio file available for listening.

Good luck! Hugh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I've suddenly started having the same problem!

I'm using a macbook btw.

I hear phrases relating to current news articles, so I believe I may be receiving audio from a news channel. The audio never lasts long enough for me to record it or anything. It as happened a few times today but only for about 5 seconds each time.

I don't have any external speakers connected.

I'm connected to the internet via a passworded wifi. I've only really noticed the sound when I have safari open, but it's not coming from any of the web pages I am on. I have managed to close all the tabs etc of safari and the audio will continue but the bursts are short.

I have run a virus scan with iAntiVirus and nothing has come up. I have deleted my cache and cookies, but the sound is still ocuring.

Any ideas? It's a little worrying. No I'm not crazy!!
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
The sounds could still be coming from safari even if you don't have a visible page open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have run a virus scan with iAntiVirus and nothing has come up.

Yeah, it's difficult, even for a Mac, to find something that doesn't exist.

Check out that System Preferences suggestion above. It's probably Voice Over. You'll note that it can accidently be invoked with ⌘F5

Reaction score
Hi, I have already checked the system preferences and it's deffinately not that.

It's real people talking. I'm sure it's picking up audio from a news channel.

I just turned my macbook on and loaded up facebook in a tab. I heard the talking and closed facebook, and the noice stopped, although i didn't press anything in the facebook tab to trigger a noise, which is odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try another browser to see if it's limited to Safari.

Reaction score
I have just posted this on another thread but as this one is more substantial and in line with my problems I have copied it to here:

I have to say on seeing this post and experiencing pretty much the same problem, it prompted me to sign up and make this comment.

Basically I got my MBP 5 days ago. Uploaded my music, pics etc and all of a sudden heard a weird noise. I couldn't make sense of it, the noise was only brief but I was sure it was dialog in some kind of language.

Anyway I thought nothing of it and didn't hear anything for the rest of the day.

Next day - I hear a noise again.. definitely english this time! like a snipped of something. I started searching and found very few posts but someone said they heard something which sounded chinese.. which was kind of what I have been experiencing. I saw the same kind of possible solutions for this.. software to scan etc, I have tried a few of these and have ziltch spyware / viruses on my mac according to them.

(Let me be clear - these noises last around 2 seconds max, then wont come back maybe all day - maybe 30 mins later for another 2-4 seconds).

The latest development was just before typing this comment I heard another voice coming from my MBP - this was definitely english and said something about 'news bulletin' - this was immediately followed again by another 2 second interval of talking.

It seems to me as if my MBP is 'tuning' into something..?
Either way its extremely annoying and seems to be getting more frequent. The last thing I want to do is send it back after all the time spent on uploading and customising. I just wanted to make people aware with this problem that your not alone and its very confusing and worrying!

Reaction score
Hi again guys,

Just to let you know, I installed Google Chrome on monday, and have used it for internet browsing rather than Safari. The problem appears to have stopped, but I will let you all know if it starts again.

Anyhow, this suggests that it's probably something in Safari that was playing up.

Is there anything you would suggest I could do to fix Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
YOu could try using Appcleaner to delete Safari and then using Pacifist to reinstall off your install disc. Make sure you have a current back up before you start the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari works without a flaw for millions of users. So, reinstalling it would seem to be the ultimate fix. First get rid of anything with "safari" in the name. Make sure you get the correct build of Safari 4.0.5 for your OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.