Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi, My MacBook Pro 13inch late 2011 running El Capitan; after fitting a SSD it really needs an increase of RAM. It has 4GB (2 by 2GB modules) and I am wondering if I could remove both of them a just put an 8GB module in place of two 4GB modules. The reason is the one 8GB module is cheaper than two 4GB modules, OK penny pinching is a hobby of mine. Personally I am quite poor, only £42 ( 53.34 $) pension every MONTH and I have a lovely wife to buy flowers for once in a while! The family budget is more healthy but the laptop is mine and mine alone, that means I am responsible for it's upkeep.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there Keith. Not only could you install a single 8gig stick of RAM in your Late 2011 MacBook Pro...you could install two 8gig sticks of RAM (16gig of RAM)...if you so desired.

Officially from Apple it could only be upgraded to 8gig of RAM total...but users have found that if two 8gig sticks of RAM are installed...all works fine.:)

- Nick

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning rachalmers and pigoo3, Thank you both very much for taking the trouble to reply. Nick, I have today ordered two stick of 8gig and will soon be upgrading the laptop, a task I feel very confident about. Thank you both very much.
Best regards from Keith in Derby England.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds great Keith. Please let us know how the upgrade goes...and how the computer feels after the upgrade.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Good morning rachalmers and pigoo3, Thank you both very much for taking the trouble to reply. Nick, I have today ordered two stick of 8gig and will soon be upgrading the laptop, a task I feel very confident about. Thank you both very much.
Best regards from Keith in Derby England.

If I could do it, you can. There's a video on YouTube by Crucial.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Keith

Just in case you need it, the folks at OWC MacSales have excellent videos as well. Based on your initial post the video for your Mac should be here.

Near the top of the page, on the right, is a link in blue that explains how to find your exact model ID. Near thhe bottom of the page if you scroll down you will see three different videos (one for each possible model ID).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nick, I have today ordered two stick of 8gig and will soon be upgrading the laptop,

I'm a bit late here, but sounds like a good plan, but I was going to mention that some places such as OWC (macsales.com) will provide a rebate on the old removed RAM to save a bit of coin. Every bit helps when money is tight.

But maybe the place you purchased the 8GB chips from will give you a small rebate on the old removed Ram if they haven't done so already.

- Patrick
======

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good Afternoon to every one who replied, and MY what a lot of our members made the effort with lots of words on advice and encouragement. Thank you one and all, very much appreciated this way.I have completed the tasks, fit new SSD (250GB) and also fit two 8GB sticks of RAM. It has certainly made a big difference, it is almost like a new computer and I am amazed that "little old me" took on such a task!
My wife and two daughters are almost on swooning over my "expertise" heheheheheheh; they do not know I was afraid of mucking it up.
There is only one snag - I enter Mac Forums in my search engine but I cannot get the correct page, lots of others including some not so good ones on keeping my Mac clean! So please what do I enter in my search engine on Safari to download this forum? The old RAM is being held 'in stock', it will not eat any corn in my computer cupboard.
With that folks I say very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have completed the tasks, fit new SSD (250GB) and also fit two 8GB sticks of RAM. It has certainly made a big difference, it is almost like a new computer and I am amazed that "little old me" took on such a task!

Most excellent Keith...great to hear everything went fine with the upgrades...and that you are now the "Computer Repair/Upgrade King" of the family!:)

There is only one snag - I enter Mac Forums in my search engine but I cannot get the correct page, lots of others including some not so good ones on keeping my Mac clean! So please what do I enter in my search engine on Safari to download this forum?

Not really sure what's going on here. As far as I know you haven't had any issue's previously (not sure what's changed). How did you get here to post your last post?

Hopefully when you enter info into a search engine...you're entering "mac-forums". By now I would think you would have the Mac-Forums URL memorized:)...thus just enter mac-forums.com into the browsers URL field...and that should take you right here.:)

Congrats again on the upgrades...very awesome!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on making the repairs successfully. :app:app

Don't qute have a solution for your current problem just a word of caution: I too have a comuter cupboard and like you mine started with something that was "being held 'in stock', it will not eat any corn in my computer cupboard". Unfortunately, that item has morphed into a collection fo wire and other gadgets that don't eat much corn. Trust mem when I tell you spouses have a low tolderance for a collection of such things.:laugh

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, many thanks, I am now on the site again with my super fast laptop.

Slydude, I agree my wife is not happy but we have agreed the computer cupboard is MY domain; end of story.
Very best regards to both of you from Keith in Derby England.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Awesome...great to hear it!:)

I'm betting that new SSD is making your MacBook Pro feel real speedy!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012

Slydude, I agree my wife is not happy but we have agreed the computer cupboard is MY domain; end of story.
Very best regards to both of you from Keith in Derby England.

Well done there. It’s a real mission to do that. You deserve a good Scotch.
I just bet that computer is now going too fast .... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, Thank you for the quick reply. I am now up and running on Mac-Forums on my super fast laptop.

Slydude, My wife and I have come to agreement on the computer cupboard, it is MY domain - end of conflict.

Sue, very pleased I am not the only adventurist. Like the legs by the way!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Keith
Nick, Thank you for the quick reply. I am now up and running on Mac-Forums on my super fast laptop.

Keith,
For what it's worth, to make access to such common web pages I want to access quickly, I just drag the website favicon onto my browser's bookmark menu, and you can shorten the name if you like, and then just one click will take me to the site:
In this case use either or both:
https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/
https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1758441

And if needed sometimes, click the weppage "Quick Links" -> "Todays Posts" or whater your preference,

PS: Congrats on you Mac upgrade!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.