Ram questions

Reaction score
I have a 2005 G5 Dual-2.5Ghz, and I need more memory now. I currently have 1 gig filled by 4x256MB chips. I was told that I shouldn't fill up all 8 of my slots to prevent hardware failure. I need atleast 2 or 3 gig, but I don't where I start getting diminishing returns. (Theoretically I could buy 8x2GB and get 16 GIG ram, which I think is bad)

I have two questions:
How much can my computer take?
And what brand? (Kingston? Corsair?)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
The claims about hardware problems is utter rubbish - we have several G5s at 8GB (8X1GB) and have had no problems for 3 years.

The maximum ram you can get is 8GB over 8 slots. You need 1GB PC3200 400MHz 184 pin Sticks, LOW DENSITY.

If you check on crucial.com - you can find some really good prices. If what you do is heavy duty I would definitely recommend maxxing out.

Otherwise, get 4 or 6 1GB chips instead. Remember they have to be equally laid out (1 on one side, 1 on other, etc etc)

Hope this helps!

Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.