Ram gets used up fast before restarting.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh. well i never thought that you were supposed to have to reboot your mac.

Ahh...this is where you would be mistaken my friend!;)

I never heard that "Macintosh Rule" anywhere!;)

- Nick

p.s. If your computer only had say 1gig or 2gig of ram (and you were doing the same things as you are now)...you would be rebooting all the time! Like maybe once/day...or more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Just a thought: RAM costs money. Reboots are free. I wish I'd remember that. I'm on a fixed income so frugality is a necessity.

I just noticed many of us are using Snow Leopard. I'm afraid my brief love affair with Lion is over. I really liked Leopard, and I was getting along fine with it even after Apple stopped supporting it. Recently, when I couldn't get a Flash update after the recent security issue, I decided I had better move on. I upgraded my Leopard to Snow Leopard, then to Lion, but had some performance issues. I created a DVD and did a clean install of Lion. Didn't improve it. So I tried a clean install of Snow Leopard then upgrade to Lion. Sadly I'm still not happy with it. I have 10.7.4 with all the software updates. I suppose I could live with the other changes, but the Finder keeps searching on partial strings while I type the search terms, which causes it to hang. It can't get out of it's own way. Plus it just can not remember my Desktop Background. I'm tired of waking up to the Andromeda Galaxy every morning. I'm "downgrading" to Snow Leopard.

Maybe my resources are a little light for Lion, but according to MacTracker I'm maxed out.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We'll ya SL definitely uses tons of flash in Google Chrome. But, that may just be Google Chrome's fault.
I'm not sure what the first sentence means. I think you may have your terminology mixed up. ;)

Chrome easily uses more memory out of the gate but does a better job than most at managing it once it's going. However, it's still just a browser so if you load a lot of content, it'll grow like any other browser (in terms of memory usage).

Oh. well i never thought that you were supposed to have to reboot your mac. Plus I thought this would be the difference between using a Mac and Windows PC.
'Tis still a computer. You don't have to reboot it but it can certainly help since it forces everything to close (it's hard for something to be open when it's off) and reopen as needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.