• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Quitting Smoking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Agreed. I've never smoked and I don't drink coffee.

Smoking is a nasty habit and I wish anyone and everyone who wants to quit all the best! You can do it, if you want to.

The irony is I picked up the habit because it allowed me to take a break.. and they were $1 a carton at the Commissary on double coupon days

OP
dabears34
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Thanks for all of the responses guys. CWA my father and mother both tried to quit with Chantix, they both had very strange dreams(which is something I have heard from multiple people). My doctor said that Chantix has been a contributing factor to depression and suicide so he told me the patch was probably the best option. As for me I have been alternating between using the patch and going without. I know its not recommended but after the first 3 days(which they say are the hardest) I will have one day on and one day off. I have had 3 cigarettes since I started which is down from a pack a day. Long story short is that it seems to be working this time thanks again for all the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch, iMac, Mountain Lion
Ive been smoking for 3 years now and finally decided to quit! I have tried before every time cold turkey but now im using the patch. Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance
Will

Nicotine in tobacco stimulates the adrenals, raising the blood sugar level (I don't remember which health book I read this in). But, when the body's natural sugar regulating process returns, unnatural cravings, due to low blood sugar, will end. Therefore it's simply a case of toughing it out until this desirable state is achieved, which shouldn't be all that long.

Also, alcoholism is another state where sugar metabolism is out of whack.

Mike.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
I smoked for 21 years, Marlboro Red, pack a day, and quit 51 months ago. My aunt worked for Ortho and she got me on Wellbutrin for 3 months and it worked. I'm not going to tell you it was easy, it wasn't, but it can be done. You have to really want to quit.

For me, it was my father who had had a heart attack and he is the beacon of clean health (officiates high school basketball at the age of 60), so for him to have a heart attack spoke volumes about what I needed to do live a longer and healthier life. I quit 18 months later after mentally preparing myself for the lifestyle change - and it is a lifestyle change. You need to keep yourself occupied during the time you used to smoke. If you don't this then your chances of successfully quitting will fail.

Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Been smoking since I was 15. I'm 19 now and I can't stand it. I hate the fact my lungs will never the same just because I thought it was cool when I was a dumb kid. I really need to quit and get back in shape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
Been smoking since I was 15. I'm 19 now and I can't stand it. I hate the fact my lungs will never the same just because I thought it was cool when I was a dumb kid. I really need to quit and get back in shape.

That's actually false. Your lungs will improve over time after you quit smoking. The bad side from quitting smoking is weight gain. I gained a substantial amount of weight since I've quit smoking. The reason being is your taste buds come back and everything tastes really good, like steak for instance. And what goes great with steak (besides baked potatoes?), beer, and lots of it!

Reaction score
as a friend of mine said, "you dont quit, you just stop." and i can say thats true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
I would eat a ton of food when i had a craving or drink a ton of water and the craving went down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
my advice is no matter how much you crave a smoke do not smoke at the same time as using a patch. you can die and im not kidding. taken the patch off for 5 minutes and going outside is exactly the same as leaving it on. there are no shortcuts. just dont mix them. really.

any smoke. wether it be a whole one half one or just a puff. your putting the nicotine back in your system. starting a cycle. your dying so you take a few drags. more nicotine enters your system and later its even worse.

if you really want to quit then dont cheat.

lastly, the next 4 months your body is going to make every excuse imaginable to have a smoke. just remind yourself when it happens its just another excuse to smoke.

good luck

Reaction score
bah im have this fight with my gf for over a year now. I just gave up, there is no way she will ever stop smoking, it is so hard i guess....

on the other hand, i have a guy on my job that stopped smoking with no problem after 20 years...

This is how I look at it, if you are motivated enough you WILL stop. If not well....you know...you wont!

Reaction score
So many people fail to quit smoking (I have been a non-smoker now for 2 years) because they still use the smoke reward system. Meaning, If I don't smoke for a few days (or hours) I can reward myself with a cigarette because I went that long without and if I can go that long without then I can simply quit when I truly want to. Oh the rationalizations that addicts can come up with. If you want to quit, then mentally prepare yourself with the fact that it will be painful. The anxiety and palpitations and other withdrawal symptoms will fade (your wanting of a cigarette doesn't ever really go away but it slackens a bit over time) after a while. Remember, that you have been putting chemicals into your body and brain for a while, it will take a bit to get that poison out of it. Take it from me, you will not regret your decision to quit. Just don't think a moment that you got it licked you won't. it's a day to day battle. I used the patch for a while but it was just so painful to have to go through the withdrawal on switching to lower doses that I just said to heck with it because at least I knew that once the withdrawal passed this time it was gone for good. Good Luck. You will do it!

Reaction score
Ive been smoking for 3 years now and finally decided to quit! I have tried before every time cold turkey but now im using the patch. Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice.
Thanks in advance
Will
Chantix is one of those FDA approved drugs which can be used to get over smoking habit. It works on body by giving you the same feel good effect like smoking and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. This medicine should only be used in accordance with the instructions of a physician as there are various side effects which may vary from person to person and it includes change of taste, sleeplessness and many more. I have smoked for more than 10 yrs, but now I am spending a smoke free life from last 2 months. Thanks to chantix. Along with having this medicine, you should also have will power and feeling that you want to get over this habit. When you feel craving the most, try having a glass of water. It will help you to get over craving. Its a long and tough road but its worth, so keep going and best luck.

Reaction score
Good luck. with quitting
I've never smoked before, but u may try drinking a lot of water whenever u need a cigarette ...and gum could be helpful too...(sorry for my simple, inexperienced advice)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Good luck. People kick harder habits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.