Questions about eMacs

OP
M
Reaction score
Can I install the leopard disk that came with my iMac on my eMac?

Was just wondering. I'm thinking after I upgrade the HD and the memory, I will want to have leopards or Tigers. Some are recommending Tiger but I have read (see here ) that after a good upgrade Leopard can run quite fast on an eMac.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't believe that will work, and it's against the EULA you agreed to when you bought the imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, the restore discs are model specific. You could try but it won't work. You'll need to get a retail disc of either Tiger or Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You'll find the Airport card just inside the drop-down door of the dvd drive. If you're serious about upgrading your eMac to its maximum capacity, I'll email you a take-apart manual. In my view, eMacs are darned good computers, a little old hat now in terms of graphics and speed; and acknowledging the notorious eMac capacitor issue. If ever you see a 1.42 GHz eMac for sale at the right price, grab it!

And thanks for the PM.

OP
M
Reaction score
You'll find the Airport card just inside the drop-down door of the dvd drive. If you're serious about upgrading your eMac to its maximum capacity, I'll email you a take-apart manual. In my view, eMacs are darned good computers, a little old hat now in terms of graphics and speed; and acknowledging the notorious eMac capacitor issue. If ever you see a 1.42 GHz eMac for sale at the right price, grab it!

And thanks for the PM.

I am serious. Thinking about making it way better and giving it to someone. My email is at your PM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2014 5k Retina 4GHz i7 32GB; MBP 2020 13" M1 16GB; MBP 2017 3.1GHz 8GB
I've just stumbled upon this thread through the wonders of google. first time post on the forum.

FWIW, my second mac is an eMac USB2.0, 1.25GHz. I've recently upgraded it (with the help of a more knowledgeable friend) to 1GB of RAM (I have it on good authority that this model will in fact take 2GB of RAM)... a 160GB Seagate Barracuda HDD, and am about to install an LG DVD RW drive.

It runs Leopard very, very happily.

I've installed a Zalman Fanmate to lower the fanspeed a little, and thereby decrease the noise a little. It's now nearly as quiet as my iMac, and the temp is stable (using Temperature Monitor on the HDD's SMART Disk temp sensor in the absence of on-board temp sensing in the eMac) at 40-45C playing video non-stop. Installing the fanmate needed a little surgery (fan power connectors changed out) - if anyone's interested I can post photos.

I've calibrated the monitor using my Spyder pro 3.0 colorometer - it looks rather good, and is fine for photo editing.

I rate this machine very highly. It cost peanuts to buy, has no evidence of the electrolytic cap failure (I've looked), is stable, stylish, and runs OSX. what more could I want? Our kids love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've just stumbled upon this thread through the wonders of google. First time post on the forum.
Greetings fellow Kiwi, and welcome to the forum. I see you're an avid follower of the Niu Zild pronunciation guide as well. I thought it was Wowlington.

FWIW, my second mac is an eMac USB2.0, 1.25GHz.
Hooray, join the club. There's a staunch sub-culture on M-F for this gem of a computer. My only wish is that I had the 1.42 GHz model.

I rate this machine very highly.
A man of impeccable judgement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.