Question mark after installing 840 pro in mbp 09

OP
F
Reaction score
What do you mean? Can it be anything besides the osx disc? And if i had an external hd that wouldnt aid me in any way?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you booting from the hard drive or the DVD? It looks like you've made the hard drive into a bootable copy of OS X which doesn't help. What you need to do is boot from the DVD and then format the drive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What do you mean? Can it be anything besides the osx disc? And if i had an external hd that wouldnt aid me in any way?

You can use either a bootable external hard drive or the DVD as Van mentioned. The drive that you boot from cannot be the same drive you are formatting

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry for all the trouble everyone i really do appreciate all the help i am getting, my noob questions must be annoying. I restarted and held down c and got the install from dvd but it seems to be taking me to the same screen with the same grayed out options. Did i miss a step? The issue wouldnt be with the RAID tab?

I might as well make a video st this point. If i did what would be necessary for you guys to see to help out weed out the issue?

*edit* could this work? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q247rzjDX_g
?

Preferably i wouldnt want to go that route but if i have to go,that route i will.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Somehow the drive is being mounted and that is why it's all grayed out. That is what people are saying. When you HOLD C at boot the Optical drive should be booting.

EDIT: I just looked at your screen shot. It's not mounted because with the drive Highlighted Mount is not highlighted. I wonder if there is some issue with that SSD? Do you have an external hard drive case you can try the drive in and maybe on another system?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you click on the option right below the SSD which is Mac OSX Install DVD, is the Erase tab still Grayed out? Please try that and post back. This makes no sense but for sure you did image the install DVD to that SSD.

Edit again: I still believe somehow you are booting from the SSD as if you were you can't unmount the boot volume. Can you disconnect the SSD and try booting from the DVD and see if it boots? If not maybe you have Optical drive issues.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are using 10.8 Mountain Lion off a DVD? You could try the Flash Drive installer like in that video.

OP
F
Reaction score
I think i got it guys, i thought i was holding the c button for long enough but wasnt. If it doesnt work ill let you guys know. Is there a thank feature?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If someone helped you and you want to thank them, on each post there are some little icons at the top right of each one. One is Add Reputation. That is a Thank you.

Please post back and let us know if that was the issue and how it all goes! Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.