Question/concerns about a Mac Mini I am thinking about getting.

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a Mac/Apple device that I will need for work and school. My questions and concerns are about what it can do and if it will be able to run what I need it to run.

I will be using all of the Adobe CC products, and mostly likely using Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver and they will be running at the same time. I will have multiple browsers and tabs open and running at the same time, as well. I will be using Garageband, too. I will be multiple track recordings, most of the time it will be live recording with multiple mics and headphones.

The Mac Mini I am looking at is a late 2014 model with an i5 2.6 GHz, 8 GB 1600 MHz, 1 TB. Will this be enough to power everything that I listed above without any hiccups?

Believe it or not, I am going to trade it for the 980 Ti that I have in my rig right now. I know many would frown upon this, but I don't game anymore and I really need/want the Mac. So, let's not dwell on whether or not it is a wise decision please.

The Mac Mini has AppleCare on it and is in excellent condition.

What do you all think. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I will be using all of the Adobe CC products, and mostly likely using Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver and they will be running at the same time. I will have multiple browsers and tabs open and running at the same time, as well. I will be using Garageband, too. I will be multiple track recordings, most of the time it will be live recording with multiple mics and headphones.

I think that this is too much to be doing simultaneously. What you're really saying here is…can I do everything I want to do on a $3000 desktop Mac Pro on an $550 Mac-Mini (actually selling refurbished for $589 at the Apple online store).

If you were to still pursue this deal (the trade you mentioned still may be a "no-brainer")…since if you don't need the other computer for gaming. Having a computer (the Mac-Mini) to do stuff on is still better (even if what you mentioned above is a bit much).

Minimally…it would be great to max. out the ram on this Mac-Mini (to help out with everything you want to do)…but the ram on 2014 Mac-Mini's is not upgradeable.

If you were buying this computer with $$$…I would say don't do it. But because you are trading it for something you no longer need…what the heck…go for it. Better to have something you can use…than something else collecting dust.;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Trading 980 Ti for i5 2.6/8GB/1TB Mac Mini. Is it a good trade?

As the title states, I am thinking about trading a 980 To for a Mac Mini i5 2.6/8GB/1TB. I don't game anymore and I need a Mac for work and school. So, with no gaming any longer in mind, is it a fair trade?
Thank you in advance for all advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
Well price wise they both are around 700$ New. But dang thats one **** of a downgrade :(. From 980Ti to Intel integrated graphics... But oh well if you don't game it will be fine i guess

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged. Not necessary to post two threads for the same topic on successive days.

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.