• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan released today

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it looks like the second iteration of the El Capitan public beta has broken the following apps:

iStat Menus

Carbon Copy Cloner

Logos 6 (remains broken)

I've been testing everything that I have access to. Games seem to run OK and that includes PrBoom and PrBoom Plus (Doom). Crossover is working OK and was able to run the Windows games that I have. All other apps are running normally and that includes Office 2016. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, it looks like the second iteration of the El Capitan public beta has broken the following apps:

iStat Menus

Carbon Copy Cloner

Logos 6 (remains broken)

I've been testing everything that I have access to. Games seem to run OK and that includes PrBoom and PrBoom Plus (Doom). Crossover is working OK and was able to run the Windows games that I have. All other apps are running normally and that includes Office 2016. :)

Charlie, when did this 2nd beta come out? If today it's not showing for me as yet on the App store. Did you have to log into the Apple Beta program to get it? I am still running the 1st one that came down.

This is what I have installed. Let me know.

10.11 Beta (15A215h)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, I would not recommend El Captain to anyone who is not a Dev or Beta tester and knows what they are doing as yet anyway. It's still an early Beta but for how early it is things work quite well. I have not used a lot of external Apps that do not come with it and especially older 32-Bit apps. Will have to get to that later tonight. That is where a lot of the issues seem to be.

I do love the OS though and do see speed improvements here. Since I have it and Yosemite here on this machine I can compare them on the same system.

C

chas_m

Dennis: I *think* Charlie is referring to the "patch" for the one and only public beta that fixed an issue with all 32-bit programs.

The reports I'm seeing on El Capitan mirrors your experience. Lots of things don't work or don't work right, but lots of things do. The new features and faster operation are noticeable, according to developer friends. I'd be putting it on a partition or separate drive for testing but haven't had the time to reconfigure my setup yet. I do have a spare 3TB somewhere I haven't put to work yet ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dennis: I *think* Charlie is referring to the "patch" for the one and only public beta that fixed an issue with all 32-bit programs.

The reports I'm seeing on El Capitan mirrors your experience. Lots of things don't work or don't work right, but lots of things do. The new features and faster operation are noticeable, according to developer friends. I'd be putting it on a partition or separate drive for testing but haven't had the time to reconfigure my setup yet. I do have a spare 3TB somewhere I haven't put to work yet ...

Ah ok! Thanks for the Info! I got that patch also. Just don't want to miss an update! :D Grin

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Dennis: That's right, I was referring to the patch, not a second issue of the public beta. I'm hoping that we'll see another issue of the beta within the next several weeks. I would love to get my Logos 6 program running on the beta. I'm not worried about CCC or iStat Menus since both developers are usually on top of things.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dennis: That's right, I was referring to the patch, not a second issue of the public beta. I'm hoping that we'll see another issue of the beta within the next several weeks. I would love to get my Logos 6 program running on the beta. I'm not worried about CCC or iStat Menus since both developers are usually on top of things.

Cool Beans as some say!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

iStat Menus developers got back to me very quickly with a new version which works fine and CCC's Bombich software provided me with a method of downloading thier latest Beta release which they say should work with OSX 10.11. Haven't tried it yet. Either way I enrolled in their Beta testing program just for the heck of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

I initially missed the Logos 6 issue until you mentioned it. I looked at the posts on the Logos forum about El Capitan. I do not understand why people jump on a beta with their primary computer and then get upset. I did catch a couple of posts that said Logos will not be dealing with El Capitan until the final product is released.

I haven't started messing with El Capitan yet. Too much going on at work and I like letting others take the hits first. ;) I finally freed up an old 2009 Macbook that just squeaks by on the system requirements. I plan to "sacrifice" to the cause later today. For now my MB AIr and Mac Pro will not be updated until Logos and other essential apps work with it.

For now on to sacrificing the Macbook!

Lisa

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I initially missed the Logos 6 issue until you mentioned it. I looked at the posts on the Logos forum about El Capitan. I do not understand why people jump on a beta with their primary computer and then get upset. I did catch a couple of posts that said Logos will not be dealing with El Capitan until the final product is released.
I saw something similar with Mendeley and the Office 2016 preview. A whole set of users complained that Mendeley didn't support the preview and Mendeley staff responded by simply saying, "when the final version gets released, we'll let you know what we plan." A day or two after 2016 went live, they sent an email out letting us know about the progress.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can certainly understand development teams, especially those smaller developers, doing that. Betas a re by definition going to change as bugs are reported and squashed. One could waste a lot of time chasing a problem which either won't exist in the final OS release or will need to be fixed differently than it did under the beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
FWIW regarding CCC and the El Capitan beta:
"We posted a beta of CCC for El Capitan beta testers back in June and I'm happy to report that our testing of CCC 4.1.4 (beta) has been going well on the new OS. So far we haven't found any significant problems. …" by Mike | July 10, 2015
https://bombich.com/blog/categories/el-capitan

and..
"Help us test!
If you're participating in Apple's El Capitan beta testing program, you can help us test CCC on the new OS. …"

https://bombich.com/blog/2015/07/10/el-capitan-and-third-party-backup-software

EDIT:
Update [June 16, 2015]: CCC 4.1.4-b2 posted…
https://bombich.com/blog/2015/06/01/will-ccc-4-work-next-major-os

Last edited:
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The latest from the Logos 6 forum is that it's currently being worked on. But truthfully, I have been vocal with them not about the El Capitan beta but about their service releases breaking the interaction between MS Office and Logos 6. Their service release 3 broke the "copy and paste" and services menu "replace with passage". But to their credit they repaired both in the next service release (4).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The latest from the Logos 6 forum is that it's currently being worked on. But truthfully, I have been vocal with them not about the El Capitan beta but about their service releases breaking the interaction between MS Office and Logos 6. Their service release 3 broke the "copy and paste" and services menu "replace with passage". But to their credit they repaired both in the next service release (4).

Logos is one app I can never keep track of what update I am getting now. If it is not updating, it is indexing. I realize it is juggling a huge library but sometimes it is annoying.

I have notice since they came out with the Mac version it runs better for me. Previously, as you know, it was windows only. My initial purchase was Logos 3 (I think - but I know it came on disks.) It use to bog my windows laptop down when it indexed to the point is was a pain to use. I would be trying to work with it and here comes the latest download and now we are indexing....sigh.

I use it mainly on my 2013 MB Air with 4GB of memory and it handles it easily which was a pleasant surprise.

I missed the "cut and paste" probably because I wasn't using it at the time. I tend to create a document, add clipping to and add my own notes. Most of what I use it for is personal study. I store everything in Logos. I only export it to Word when I want to have a paper copy for something I am doing so I would have missed it.

Currently installing El Capitan on my 2009 Macbook, 4gb of memory. Let's see how "she" handle it. :Mischievous:

Lisa

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're a new comer to Logos Lisa. :) I've been using Logos since back when it was the Logos Library System and made for Windows 3.0 and 3.1. But yes, it runs a lot faster for me on a Mac than it ever did in Windows. I've also got a rather large library so indexing does take a while each time an update to a book is issued. However, I can't do without the copy and paste feature which I use for all my sermons and Bible Studies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just looked at those and saw this:
After upgrading to OS X El Capitan Developer Beta, applications that write to protected/system locations may no longer function correctly.
That reminded me that EC will bring with it "rootless" permissions settings which basically prevents admin users from editing certain parts of the OS. I better be able to edit files as root if that becomes a central feature of EC...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked at those and saw this:That reminded me that EC will bring with it "rootless" permissions settings which basically prevents admin users from editing certain parts of the OS. I better be able to edit files as root if that becomes a central feature of EC...

I agree, don't take our root access from us or else! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're a new comer to Logos Lisa. :) I've been using Logos since back when it was the Logos Library System and made for Windows 3.0 and 3.1. But yes, it runs a lot faster for me on a Mac than it ever did in Windows. I've also got a rather large library so indexing does take a while each time an update to a book is issued. However, I can't do without the copy and paste feature which I use for all my sermons and Bible Studies.

In 2004 I went to a ministry training seminar and we were to choose which sessions we wanted to attend. I thought Logos was how to design church logos - as did our youth pastor and another in our ministry group. When the presenter started up his projector and it became evident what Logos was. The two guys I was with sneaked out. I stayed and ended up purchasing the 5-1/4" floppies the program came on at half off - and that was still very expensive. Since then I have updated several times and purchased lots of other books. I have never regretted it.

I have El Capitan up and running on my 2009 Macbook. I haven't found any issues although I haven't figured out how to do the split screen feature yet.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In 2004 I went to a ministry training seminar and we were to choose which sessions we wanted to attend. I thought Logos was how to design church logos - as did our youth pastor and another in our ministry group. When the presenter started up his projector and it became evident what Logos was. The two guys I was with sneaked out. I stayed and ended up purchasing the 5-1/4" floppies the program came on at half off - and that was still very expensive. Since then I have updated several times and purchased lots of other books. I have never regretted it.

Interesting as when I think of Logos I think of Bible software also!

https://www.logos.com/

I
I have El Capitan up and running on my 2009 Macbook. I haven't found any issues although I haven't figured out how to do the split screen feature yet.

Lisa

Here is how to do Split Screen. There are 2 methods.

How to use Split View in OS X El Capitan - CNET

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.