• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PS3 or XBOX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHZ MacBook Black 2GB's RAM 200GB Hard Drive
My vote goes for 360.

I basically went with a 360 for the games.Xbox has the game selection right now but that could change this year will PS3 trying to step it up and getting into the game. I am not a FF fan and RPG's really arent my style so one could see why I tend to lean towards the 360. I love shooters and the 360 fits me just fine!

As far a new console for the GTA thats coming out they have said that the episodic content will only be for the 360 and not for PS3. Thats something to think about. Theres no doubt that the new GTA will look better on the PS3 but I think the difference wont be "night and day". Draw distances will surely be better on the PS3 version.

As far as blue ray goes, its not a big deal for me to drop a couple hundred on a blue ray player in the near future when the time comes.

Also the new 360's run sooooo much cooler than the older ones, I gave my old 360 to my bro and picked up a newer one and it definitly runs alot cooler!

You really can't fo wrong with either one, if Blueray is important and your down with Metal gear and Final Fantasy then by all means get a PS3!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ahem... don't forget down with gran turismo. that's a biggie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
ahem... don't forget down with gran turismo. that's a biggie.

Wow how I ever hated that game! lol. People always raved about it, but I hated it so much!! If I want a real racing experience, I will go down the street to the Richard Petty Driving school.. ;D

Eric, I love that avatar!!!

Reaction score
I dont think ether are "better." But I got a 360 because if I got a PS3 I would have NOONE to play with that I know. I like the games on the 360, they are fun, and action packed. Plus I know about 20 people on my friends list, where as if I got a PS3 I would know 2. So thats what it came down to for me, games, and community. And just FYI. Idk about all the PS3 games looking better than the 360 games thing. They are both very capable, and have you guys seen Gears of War????? Holy cow, nothing has come close that I have seen.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Eric, I love that avatar!!!

thanks. :)

for me gran turismo is the driving game. not racing mind you, due to the dim AI and shallow field of cars, but for driving... oh, yes.

and hey, will the King's school let you fully mod a daihatsu midget and tune it in a misguided quest to find it's top speed on a course like the ginormous test track? ;P

Reaction score
I have both. If I had to pick one then it would be the 360, just because I like the game selection better and the graphics look about the same. A lot of good 360 games can be found cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
thanks. :)

for me gran turismo is the driving game. not racing mind you, due to the dim AI and shallow field of cars, but for driving... oh, yes.

and hey, will the King's school let you fully mod a daihatsu midget and tune it in a misguided quest to find it's top speed on a course like the ginormous test track? ;P

I personally feel Forza blows it out of the water.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
forza2 on the 360? of course. the look, the speed, has to be much better.

even the old one on the xbox looked a bit better in some ways than gt4, seemed from the videos i saw to be a more forgiving racer (like a NFS in some ways). the gt series has typically had so much going on in the background in terms of physics, it's had to make some sacrifices in other ways.

we can only imagine what gt5 will have to offer. prologue is really only a semi-unrefined taste of what gt5 really look/sound/play like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
360 all the way. most of the games now are shown on commercials using xbox. with that you know its better than ps3

Reaction score
Xbox 360 died on me three times, the PS3 will just get better, I have one and its awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHZ MacBook Black 2GB's RAM 200GB Hard Drive
Xbox 360 died on me three times, the PS3 will just get better, I have one and its awesome.

MS definitly has a problem with RROD, sucks to hear you have went through three.

I personally had a launch console that never failed, its now my bros and it still is running like a champ and my new elite is goin strong.

It is a nice gesture that MS extended the warranty to 3 yrs.

P.s. I am no MS fanboy but my 360 is one MS product that I don't regret dropping the cash on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I like the 360 games and controller better, but I sold mine b/c of 1. blue-ray 2. 4 RRODs and 3. PS3 is getting a slew of great games this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I went through the RROD as well, and a friend of mine got an Elite that had the RROD. Because of this experience, the 360 has really let me down. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games on it. It's just that I now have this dread of seeing the RROD again.
Most of the games I really like for the 360 are available for the PS3 as well. I never really liked Halo (way overrated imo), and beat Gears of War in like 4 hours and got bored with it.
I did play the crap out of Forza 2 though. It was the only thing closest to GT5 that I knew of that didn't suck. I enjoyed playing Forza, but I found myself turning back to GT4 for the PS2 here and there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard
360 all the way! The graphics tend to be brighter and sharper on the 360. Ok PS3 wins on Blu-Ray built in but it wont be long before MS adds Blu-Ray to the 360 package. Better games for 360 - Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect to name but a few. Case Closed! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Multiplayer my friend. Multiplayer...;D

Not sure if I want to dish out another 100 bucks for the wireless adapter (since I live in a room that is being rented out with a wireless connection).
If I need to get my frag on, I typically turn to CS:S on my pc. I am a real frugal guy :Smirk:
This whole PS3 or Xbox 360 debate really comes down to personal preference.
In all honesty though, I'd wait until we hear something from E3 this year. I know Sony is planning to release a new version of their controller with the rumble function.
I also read that Microsoft is planning to release a controller similar to that of the PS3, with the tilt motion thingamerjig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I debated on whether to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but ultimately went with the Xbox 360 because of the games and XBL.

I bought the Xbox 360 in Dec. 2006. Three weeks ago, the DVD drive stopped opening unless I wiggled the front of it. No RRoD but definitely frustrating.

Took it back to Sam's Club, got it refunded/exchanged for a new Xbox 360. The girl at the counter told me that they "...had a lot of 360s come back for the Red Ring."

My buddy bought one in March 2006 and is coming up on his one year. He was getting disc read errors....used a DVD Player cleaner disc....errors went away, no issues so far.

I'm not going to get into the reasons why I bought the 360 over the PS3, but I can tell you the reasons I didn't buy a PS3.

- No Rumble Controller ("coming soon" though)

- Non-Replaceable Controller Battery (this sucks! $11.99 for a replacement Xbox 360 rechargeable battery, and I can still use AA's)

- Blu Ray - Some saw this as a benefit, but I had absolutely no interest in getting a HD player...still don't. I didn't see any added benefit to BluRay games because they looked the same on the Xbox 360.

- Composite Cables Included, HDMI Cable is Extra (the 360 came w/ component cables)

- Games (the selection on 360 was much better)

Things I like about the PS3...

- Slot-loading design...no tray.
- SIXAXIS is a nice touch
- Bluetooth
- Internet Browser
- Can install Linux (but why?)

All in all, I'm still very happy w/ the 360 and haven't seen anything to envy on the PS3 yet.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 4gig RAM. 2nd gen 8gb ipod nano
seems like the 360 gets the vote from most of you, i just found out at work today that the 360 is coming down in price by £50 so theres another plus for the xbox. I also read that extra content for GTA4 is only available on the 360 at the minute so xbox wins again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.