Programming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
.NET changes every time MS "upgrade" it, so learning it will be a never-ending task. It's also hideously overcomplicated like most MS stuff.

To learn the fundamentals of programming I'd look at Java - there's a lot of training material at http://www.javapassion.com. Just get Eclipse or NetBeans.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
.NET changes every time MS "upgrade" it, so learning it will be a never-ending task. It's also hideously overcomplicated like most MS stuff.

To learn the fundamentals of programming I'd look at Java - there's a lot of training material at http://www.javapassion.com. Just get Eclipse or NetBeans.

Seconded!

Reaction score
The languages don't change, there is just additional functionality in the .Net framework.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Learn Java. It is strongly typed, cross platform, object oriented. By far the best beginner language in my opinion. It has a million forums online, huge API, and everyone likes to help a new java programmer.

Try this site when you have problems:

http://www.tek-tips.com/

People there are really nice.

If you need any help, just PM me. I also wouldn't mind collaborating on a project if you have a good idea, or some interest in making something cool.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
The question is, what language do you use know. I'm assuming that you are using a Mac because you are on a MAc Forum. Never known anyone to use BASIC for mac.
Well, I've been using Java so far, because the project I'm working on is written in it. When I get around to programming for my own stuff, I'm not sure; this Objective-C sounds pretty nice.
Ideally, there are languages I'd like to use, but they have minimal API support, and often no API at all when it comes to GUI work, which would be nice to have on the Mac...

Ever thought that C is popular because it is actually that good??
Unix... perhaps the best Operating System alive, is a C code. And it remains the best performer when compared to all the Operating systems. One very reason it was chosen to be the heart of the Mac OS X.
A program written in C is only as good as the programmer who wrote the code. If the programmer wrote some dodgy code, then yeah... you can expect an average program that does not work as well as it should.
Yeah, you're right, and I have seen and debugged some of the kernel myself in my painful trying-to-get-ACPI-sleep-working-on-my-linux-laptop days. But you're missing the point here. C is about as high-level as most people would want for writing an operating system, because they need to optimise the **** out of the code, they often need to use assembly language escapes, and they routinely need to deal with extremely low level stuff like dealing with interrupts and reading and writing to device registers.
For operating system coding, C is almost like a little wrapper over assembly language, to make things a bit easier to work with.
You should note that Windows is also written in C, so it's no magic bullet ;)

In my opinion, C & C++ is a very good choice. Yes it might be tough and painful, but I would think that it is well-worth the while getting into it.
Unix (the best OS by far and the heart of Mac OS X) is nothing but a C code. That should show that a good code written in C can be a great thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a program in Java or BASIC have that kind of testimonal.
And now you know the reasons why Java or BASIC would not be used to write an operating system. However, I think we can safely assume that most programmers (especially budding novices) are not starting to write an operating system!
And for the general, more application-oriented case, it's very worth looking to alternatives to C and C++. Also, don't get me wrong about C, some of its elegant simplicities make it preferable to the over-engineered bloated behemoth that is C++.

Reaction score
BTW: someone mentioned C# being Windows only - I believe it can be used on the Mac with the cross-platform open-source Mono project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Exolon...

Can someone program using BASIC on a Mac??

If so... how would yuo do that???

Reaction score
-
I was wondering if anyone knew off any programming launage that would be ok for a 15 year old. I would be interested in C and C++ but arent they abit to advance.

Anyway it would be good if someone could direct me to a website with tutorials on it.

WizzKid

The Python language would also be a nice start. Its object based ( like C++, Java and Objective-C ...... ) and has a huge numbers of modules with many nice features.

Its available on all platforms and there is also solid support in Xcode. And modules giving access to the rest of the goodies on OSX systems.

It is also a very rapid cycle prototyping tool without the need for a separate compiler. Take a look at http://www.python.org or at any good bookstore.

A personal favorite is the combination of Python and the Qt framework on Linux systems. I have built several nice utilities for inhouse use in a very short time. For portability the Tkinter module is available on most platforms, but requires some manual designing of your applications GUI.

B.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.