problems with Skype after macOS High Sierra update

Reaction score
After the High Sierra update to version 10,13.1 Skype is not reacting anymore.
Is that known? And what te do abouit it?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

Have you got the most recent version of Skype? The most recent version is working for me on HS. (8.10.0.4)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
After the High Sierra update to version 10,13.1 Skype is not reacting anymore.
Is that known? And what te do abouit it?

What does that mean? I have Skype v8.10.0.4 which it claims to be the latest version and it works fine on High Sierra.

OP
H
Reaction score
OK thanks. That propbably means that the update is not the reason for the malfunction.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Uninstall and re-install the app and tell us specifically what isn't working.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My 27" iMac is running 10.13.1 and Skype is fine. Just tried it.

Reaction score
Skype 8.10.0.4 won’t load under Mac OS 10.13.1

What does that mean? I have Skype v8.10.0.4 which it claims to be the latest version and it works fine on High Sierra.

I have essentially the same problem, I think. Since Mac OS update to 10.13.1, I can’t launch Skype successfully - I just get the Skype application menu with one option, “Quit” and no Skype window.

I’ve followed their Support tip of changing my Mac’s language setting and I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype (latest package 8.11.0.4). Neither of these has made the slightest difference.

As a short-term work-around, I tried the beta web version; the interface on that seems functional but I cannot make or receive calls. All very strange!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
As a last resort you may want to try deleting the preferences that Skype stores on your Mac, but this may not make a difference.

Open the Terminal from Spotlight search or via the Launchpad and run the following command (close Skype first):

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist && rm -Rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Skype

Please note this will perform a permanent deletion which cannot be reversed and you will lose all your Skype settings, customisations and local chat history. You'll need to login to Skype again afterwards.

Once you've run the command, log out of your Mac user account and log back in and try opening Skype again.

If this doesn't work, another application must be conflicting with Skype. Try running the application with nothing else open - once you've closed all the apps displayed on the Dock, make sure no utility apps are running in the system menu bar at the top-right of the screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a last resort you may want to try deleting the preferences that Skype stores on your Mac, but this may not make a difference.

Open the Terminal from Spotlight search or via the Launchpad and run the following command (close Skype first):

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist && rm -Rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Skype

Please note this will perform a permanent deletion which cannot be reversed and you will lose all your Skype settings, customisations and local chat history. You'll need to login to Skype again afterwards.

Once you've run the command, log out of your Mac user account and log back in and try opening Skype again.

If this doesn't work, another application must be conflicting with Skype. Try running the application with nothing else open - once you've closed all the apps displayed on the Dock, make sure no utility apps are running in the system menu bar at the top-right of the screen.

As it happens, I didn’t need too resort to that but thanks anyway. The ‘easy’ fix, provided by Microsoft, was to download classic Skype using the installer link:

https://go.skype.com/classic.skype

All is now as it was. Meanwhile, their engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it. Personally, I don’t need any more than the above stop-gap.

Reaction score
I have essentially the same problem, I think. Since Mac OS update to 10.13.1, I can’t launch Skype successfully - I just get the Skype application menu with one option, “Quit” and no Skype window.

I’ve followed their Support tip of changing my Mac’s language setting and I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype (latest package 8.11.0.4). Neither of these has made the slightest difference.

As a short-term work-around, I tried the beta web version; the interface on that seems functional but I cannot make or receive calls. All very strange!

I have experienced exactly the same problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled and updated all software versions for both Mac & Skype still no joy. The app remains "open" in the system tray however I cant open it. This definitely happened following a system update to the first level of Sierra. High Sierra update didnt rectify it either.

I can obviously use web skype but the app is more convenient and useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.