problem with my files in Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
please see the attached screenshot I took while viewing some of folders in Finder

I do believe I have some of MY folders/files in the wrong place and I am completely muddled up with it.

My user folder is named "tim", in the same folder as USERS, are folders beginning with a DOLLAR sign and I also have some folders that should be in my own user folder.
Is it as bad as it looks ?.
Another confusing thing, I have a folder named $Videos which has identical contents to the "Movies" folder which is in my users folder.

So please, what folders/files should I have where ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afxvelgld8cgcac/Screenshot 2013-12-03 20.25.40.png

tim

Screenshot 2013-12-03 20.25.40.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11" i5 Mid 2012 Mountain Lion 10.8.5
Huh...Are all of those folders with the dollar sign and that should be in your User folder exact copies of folders already in your User folder? I know you said that $Videos is a copy, but is there another version of all of those folders in your User folder?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
hiya friend, I had given up on getting ANY response from anyone, so thank you for making the effort.

So obviously I shouldn't have the folders with a Dollar sign at the front in that particular folder.

The same relevant folder in my MY user folder (tim) has double the number of files, but the the files that are in the $ folder are the same !.

I also guess that the other folders in the root folder shouldn't be there either ?

Tim

Reaction score
This is what your root folder should look like (unless you're using Fink or MacPorts). Don't know where all those other folders came from.

Snow 2013-12-16 13-38-08.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Thank you cradom, that is very helpful, it looks as if I have messed it up a little, or A LOT !!!!

I'm surprised it still works ????

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I would advise copying the "extra" folders to an external drive, then deleting them from your hard drive. If there are no problems after awhile, then you can get rid of them off the external. If there are problems, make sure you catalog where each folder was so it can be put back, 'cause there's a problem somewhere.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I would advise copying the "extra" folders to an external drive, then deleting them from your hard drive. If there are no problems after awhile, then you can get rid of them off the external. If there are problems, make sure you catalog where each folder was so it can be put back, 'cause there's a problem somewhere.

Wowee "toMACsh" that will be easy to do for sure, thank you so much buddy, you've been a big help.

I dont really know why those files/folders got there !

Thanks

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.