Problem with Email Attachments

Reaction score
MaBook Pro 2019, Mojave 10.14.6. Safari Browser v 14.0.1. Mac Mail v 12.4
I have always used my web based mail accounts (Yahoo or Outlook) when attaching files (mainly Images) as Icons at the end of a message to avoid the problem with Mac Mail embedding them as full images in the body of the text. This web based method allows Windows users to open the images.
Recently both Yahoo and Outlook will not open the Browse drop down window in order that I can select and attach files. I have a feeling this may be due to some security improvements following recent updates to Mac OS and Safari?
So rather nervously I tried the following command in Terminal in order to force Mac Mail to attach files as Icons at the end of a message.

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

I first allowed Terminal Full Disc Access in System Preferences Security Settings.

I thought this had worked as indeed image file attachments were appearing as Icons at the end of the message before I sent it. However when reviewing the message in my Sent Folder the files appeared as full images embedded in the text of the message and could not be opened by the Windows recipient so this piece of code had made no difference.

in the past I have also tried changing the following settings in Mac Mail with no success:

Rich Text/Plain Text
Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments. (have been ticked for some time)
Always Send Attachments at End of Message. (have been ticked for some time)

Can any help me to set up Mac Mail so that images are always attached as Icons at the end of a message?

Thanks

Macian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What the recipient sees is dependent on the recipient settings, not what you set up. Mail defaults to showing the image inline, but if the recipient has it set up to show icons, they will get an icon. And you cannot change that, it's on the other end, at the recipient. To show them as icons in YOUR system, open the message, right click on the image and choose to view it as an icon. You can do that in the draft, in the sent message and even in a received message if the image is displayed in line. As far as I can find, there is no way to make the icon the default display, but even if you did, all it would affect is YOUR system, not the recipient.

Your terminal command may or may not make any difference in YOUR system, but it definitely will not make a difference to the recipient's system.

Bottom line: Don't sweat it, it's out of your control. That's how email works on ALL systems, not just Macs.

As for the recipient not being able to open the image, that would also depend on their system and the format of the images you are sending. They must have an app to work with the format you send. What format are you trying to send that the other end cannot open?

OP
M
Reaction score
What the recipient sees is dependent on the recipient settings, not what you set up. Mail defaults to showing the image inline, but if the recipient has it set up to show icons, they will get an icon. And you cannot change that, it's on the other end, at the recipient. To show them as icons in YOUR system, open the message, right click on the image and choose to view it as an icon. You can do that in the draft, in the sent message and even in a received message if the image is displayed in line. As far as I can find, there is no way to make the icon the default display, but even if you did, all it would affect is YOUR system, not the recipient.

Your terminal command may or may not make any difference in YOUR system, but it definitely will not make a difference to the recipient's system.

Bottom line: Don't sweat it, it's out of your control. That's how email works on ALL systems, not just Macs.

As for the recipient not being able to open the image, that would also depend on their system and the format of the images you are sending. They must have an app to work with the format you send. What format are you trying to send that the other end cannot open?
Hi thanks for this. It's JPEG files that cannot be opened by many Windows Users. They would have Photoshop etc but they seem to receive them as ZIP files? These they cannot open.
Next time I'll try my web based mail accounts (Yahoo or Outlook) again to see if they are now working as they previously did, or I'll try an alternative browser to Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I don't know what to say, I send pictures to Windows users all the time and the jpegs open just fine. I looked quickly but didn't see any option in Mail to compress images to zip files. Maybe Yahoo or your mail provider you use Outlook for does that to make the attachments smaller? I don't use Yahoo and I don't know what the mail provider you have set up for Outlook may be. Good luck with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.