Problem with El capitan on Mac pro 1.1

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Here I have installed El Capitan on my Mac Pro 1.1 via the procedure proposed by Pikify.

Everything works fine for 1 week, then the mac freezes and shuts down.
From then on, it's impossible to turn it back on. It turns on, I hear the chimes and off by itself.

I thought it could come from the security update that you apparently don't need to install. However, I had unchecked the box that allows automatic updates in the system preferences.

Do you have any idea where the problem could come from ?

Thanks to all of you,

Max

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Everything works fine for 1 week, then the mac freezes and shuts down.
From then on, it's impossible to turn it back on. It turns on, I hear the chimes and off by itself.

Wanted to clarify what was mentioned. Are you saying AFTER installing El Capitan everything worked fine for 1 week...and then it won't boot again properly. Has this only happened once...or has it happened multiple times?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes it worked fine during 1 week - I just had some problems with strange restarts sometimes, but I changed the RAM place inside the macpro and it was working fine after.
Here, I had a blackscreen, the computer stops and now, he shutdowns directly when I start it.
(I precise I can boot on my older 10.7 system, on another hard drive.)

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(I precise I can boot on my older 10.7 system, on another hard drive.)

This was something I was going to suggest...trying to boot your Mac Pro from a different hard drive with a different macOS version on it.

Are you saying you tried this (and it worked/not worked)...or haven't tried it yet?

- NIck

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes it works perfectly on 10.7. The system says me the El Capitan hard drive is not available, and it's not possible to repair it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for confirming...wanted to be 100% sure I understood correctly.:)

As you probably know...macOS 10.7.5 "officially" from Apple is the newest macOS Mac Pro 1,1's are supposed to run.

El Capitan (macOS 10.11) is 4 macOS versions newer...thus there's always the possibility of issues running an unsupported OS version.

I think you mentioned installing El Capitan via a procedure from someone named "Pikify". If someone else out there offers a different install method...maybe give that a try...and maybe you will have better stability.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look through this there is a fair bit about Pkify and the 14 odd versions and problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.