Problem setting up Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I recently bought an Airport Express router but, because it had only a WAN port, I sent it back. I had found setting it up very easy.

I have now got an Airport Extreme but Airport utility says that I need firmware 7.3 or later. I have downloaded the latest updater but it doesn't seem to be able to locate the device to update it.

Unfortunately it wasn't supplied with the original CD and I can't see anything else to download from the Apple website.

Can anyone help please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would send it back and buy a new Airport Extreme instead. You really don't know if it's even functional and if it can't have its firmware updated, it's useless.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would send it back and buy a new Airport Extreme instead. You really don't know if it's even functional and if it can't have its firmware updated, it's useless.

Thanks. Fortunately the seller who seems to have been acting as intermediary has agreed to take it back.

It turned out to be a 2nd generation so no longer supported. They are expensive new but I'll probably buy a 5th generation one and pay a bit more.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A new AE from the Apple Store is $199.00 here in the US. You might give a look on eBay to see if you can get a later model (one that's supported) for under $100.00. Also check out Amazon UK to see what they have in stock, used and new.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A friend has bought an AirPort Extreme. His iMac uses his BT Home hub router modem his primary source linked to a TP Link PA411 Kit AV500. I'm not a BT subscriber and currently have a Speedtouch modem connected to a Buffalo wifi router. The TP Link no longer seems to work.

What is the best system to give me wifi access throughout the house? I think an Airport Express with a WAN & 2 LAN ports would be sufficient. What would AirPort Extreme offer that Airport Express doesn't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
For what you are wanting I suggest the Airport Extreme. It offers the new 802.11ac.

What I did with my home network was to attach a Time Capsule (like an Airport Extreme with a hard drive) to my modem from my provider. I setup the TC in bridge mode and let my modem handle DHCP for IP addresses. I really increased the range of my wireless. I live in a very very old brick house with 12" walls and I have signal upstairs in a back room and the TC is downstairs at the opposite end of the house.

I went with the TC over the Extreme because I wanted the Time Machine backup feature which is very nice.

Airport Express is usually used for wireless network extending and has not be updated to use the new 802.11ac protocols that offer more speed.

As to your friends issues? I will say regardless of how you set up a network only one of the devices can be in charge of handing out ip addresses (DHCP) - and yes it is possible to have two but that requires a bit of skill and is not necessary for a home network. And only one device can serve as the gateway to the internet and it has to be the modem that connects you to your ISP. All other devices need to know the IP address of the modem/gateway in order to access the internet.

In your case, if you purchase an apple extreme, you will have to address the issues of who is in bridge mode and who does DHCP.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's keep this as one thread. Not necessary to start another thread when the subject is the same. I merged your two threads together here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.