Problem opening Zip

Reaction score
Just downloaded a Zip containing an update for a camera, when I double-click to open it just makes an identical .bin on my desktop. Any idea how to get around this ? I've tried downloading a fresh Zip but still does.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The bin file is likely what you want. You likely need to execute that form the command line. Are there any installation instructions on the website?

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
I click on download, it puts a .bin file on my desktop, I'm guessing thats a zip file as it looks the same icon? Double click on the .bin file and it just makes an identical .bin file on the desktop with a new file name.bin. I've even tried clicking on those and it just keeps making more .bin files lol.

Ok, just downloaded Stuffit Expander to try open it... doesn't want to know :(

ok more info...followed this advice from forum :- Preferences->General and unchecking the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" option..

Result is... It now arrives on my desktop as a zip file, double click makes a .bin file and then we start ALL OVER again at just constantly making new .bin files every time you double click the new one ! grrrrrrrrrrrr

The installation instructions are S8 forward if the bloody .bin file would open

If you want to try yourself, here's the link. Go to the Zip (first firmware update in the list) download and try open, see what happens. I'll be interested to know if it's my Mac or not.

http://en.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/compact_cameras/d-lux_4/

Reaction score
Click on the LAST download...the one that says Installation Instructions. It will tell you what to do with that .bin file.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Click on the LAST download...the one that says Installation Instructions. It will tell you what to do with that .bin file.

For Macintosh Users
1. Download and save the DLUX4_220.zip file with the firmware on your desktop/finder.
DLX4_220.ZIP / 6.097.035 Bytes
2. Extract downloaded file.
Depending on your Macintosh setting the file maybe automatically extracted.
If your OS is earlier than Mac OS X 10.3, please use Extract software. If your
Macintosh OS is equal or later than Mac OS X 10.3, double click the file, DLX4_220.ZIP.
3. The extracted file DLX4_220.BIN should be 6.096.384 Bytes. If the file size is not the same, please
download and double click the file again. To check the file size, view "File in Finder" then check the
information window.

NOTE..

Yeah done that first of all 2 days ago, still won't open properly. Went into an Apple store today, they told me to right click on the .bin file, tried that but there's nothing new that I've already tried there to open it with. The only thing there just opens another .bin file again.

Looks like I've stumped Mac Forums and the Apple Store lol

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
mmmmmmm ok looks like I'v stumped everyone, or this is a really boring question? I've googled this question and there seems to be loads of different answers, all don't work.
Loads of people say use Stuffit but won't open it.

Reaction score
For Macintosh Users
1. Download and save the DLUX4_220.zip file with the firmware on your desktop/finder.
DLX4_220.ZIP / 6.097.035 Bytes
You did that
2. Extract downloaded file.
Depending on your Macintosh setting the file maybe automatically extracted.
If your OS is earlier than Mac OS X 10.3, please use Extract software. If your
Macintosh OS is equal or later than Mac OS X 10.3, double click the file, DLX4_220.ZIP.
You did that. That's how you got the .bin file.
3. The extracted file DLX4_220.BIN should be 6.096.384 Bytes. If the file size is not the same, please
download and double click the file again. To check the file size, view "File in Finder" then check the information window.

NOTE..

Yeah done that first of all 2 days ago, still won't open properly. Went into an Apple store today, they told me to right click on the .bin file, tried that but there's nothing new that I've already tried there to open it with. The only thing there just opens another .bin file again.

Looks like I've stumped Mac Forums and the Apple Store lol
You do not need to "extract" the .bin file. You need to put it on an SD card. Read the rest of the instructions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You did that
You did that. That's how you got the .bin file.
You do not need to "extract" the .bin file. You need to put it on an SD card. Read the rest of the instructions.

^^^ that

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are correct. You do not run the BIN. You place it on a SD card and the camera will install it.

M

MacInWin

You missed this:

• STEP 4. Copy the firmware file DLX4_220.BIN from the desktop/finder onto an SD Memory Card in its top level
folder.
• STEP 5. Install the firmware update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.