Powermac G5 Issues- PLEASE help!

Reaction score
Hello.

I would first like to say that I have very little experience working with macs.

My friend got me this dual 1.8 G5 from the surplus as his work. The computer's video doesn't work, and the people who had it last did extensive testing and determined that something was wrong with the motherboard (they did replace the video card).

I got a replacement motherboard from eBay. While it wasn't guaranteed, based on the description it seemed like it was a working board- it said it came out of a computer with a dead power supply.

I got the replacement board into the computer, but it didn't power on. I believe the front light flashed in some pattern, but I can't recall.

The more I think about it, the more I feel it's possible that the replacement motherboard was from a different revision of the DP 1.8 G5. It looks basically the same, but I don't know how to confirm the compatibility.

The serial no. on the inside of the computer's case is:
G85163TBQPL

The original motherboard has this number under where the CPU's go:
820-1614-A
and this number on the white tag between the two groups of RAM slots:
J551600XJRQNJ

The number on the white tag between the two groups of RAM slots on the replacement board is:
J54510YARQNI
(I cant read the other number on the replacement board right now, because the CPU's are installed)

Finally, my question:
Is the board I purchased to replace the original the right board for this revision of the G5? How can I know?

A simple question with a long explanation. I just hope someone can help me...

Thanks,
Graham

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello.

I would first like to say that I have very little experience working with macs.

My friend got me this dual 1.8 G5 from the surplus as his work.

I got a replacement motherboard from eBay.

I got the replacement board into the computer, but it didn't power on.

Welcome Graham!:)

When you say that you don't have much experience working with Mac's...I hope this means that you do have experience working with other computers. Because swapping out the motherboard can be pretty involved.

As far as your question regarding the correct motherboard. There were quite a few different G5 Powermac desktop models...I'm not sure how many different motherboards there were.

Check out this website:

iFixit: Do-it-yourself Mac & iPod Repair

It may help you identify the correct motherboard for your G5 Powermac...and if you purchased the correct replacement motherboard.:)

Remember to keep in mind that the motherboard you got on e-Bay may not be functional...which of course would make your project a bit more complex & frustrating.:(

Good luck,

- Nick

Edit: This may be a better link for helping identify if you have the correct replacement motherboard:

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Power-Mac-G5-Logic-Boards-c-245_5370_1074.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick points out there are a couple of models of 1.8DP G5 Powermacs, one is has PCI slots and another PCI-X which would make a huge difference to the logic board. Trust he did not pay for the machine and does not have a lot to lose. Mobo's are a woeful price and not worth the cost fitting to such an early model G5 alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.