Post your favorite Mac tip

Reaction score
i like "cmd" + "+" or "-" to zoom in/out or to increase the size of the fonts in Firefox/safari/etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
After typing a few lines of text, then you decide you want to change it, hold down command + shift then press the back arrow, this selects all the text on the line and you can instantly start retyping, without having to use the mouse. Not so useful in text editing programs where you only want to delete a few words, but when using Adium or other chat programs, I use the above keys quite a bit. Also just holding down the shift key and then using the back arrow selects letters individually.

Reaction score
I love it when, say you have a bunch of photos on the Desktop or in a random folder ... and you highlight all of them, then Ctrl/right-click the group and select 'Slide Show' ... then click on the "Add to iPhoto" icon and watch the result ... it's just another reason why using a Mac is so enjoyable.

Reaction score
My tip would be based on what I discovered whilst trying to move all my itunes stuff this weekend (56gig).

The PC wouldn't burn DVD's so I had to resort to transferring it over a network.

I did try copying it all onto an 80gig external drive but that has USB 1 only and it was painfully slow.

I tried doing it over the wireless network and it was only getting 11mbps, again painfully slow.

Apple advise connecting over ethernet but I couldn't get the mac to talk to the PC with them directly connected.

I then had a brainwave of moving the ADSL modem (which has a built in 4 port switch) and connecting the pc and the mac to it. I then made them both use the IP address allocated to them. This worked straight away.
It still takes AGES, I'm about 8 hours on and it's only 2/3rds through but when it's done it will be done.

So the summary of my hint is to not bother messing about with Ip addresses, let the router/switch give them out.

Reaction score
My favorite tip (especially for LONG forum posts) is "Summarize"...

Click/highlight the text in a post or news article....

Now click Safari.. Services.. Summarize.

Viola! You now have the short version of the post/story... You can use the slider to shorten or lengthen the summary.

It's like.... MAGIC!!!! Mac-Magic!!!!
I'm dense. I'm not getting this!

Even cooler is if you hit the space bar once after cmd+shift+4 .
Cool.

How about APPLE+F to "Find" a word or phrase on a page...
Ah even I know that one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Bones...
Check out this link... CLICK!

When there... Click/highlight the entire article (lots of text)... then...

Safari>>>Services>>>Summarize...

A window will pop-up with a "condensed" version of the story... you can adjust how condensed you want it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
After typing a few lines of text, then you decide you want to change it, hold down command + shift then press the back arrow, this selects all the text on the line and you can instantly start retyping, without having to use the mouse. Not so useful in text editing programs where you only want to delete a few words, but when using Adium or other chat programs, I use the above keys quite a bit. Also just holding down the shift key and then using the back arrow selects letters individually.

In Adium specifically, hitting ESC will delete all the text you've typed in the typing box so far.

Reaction score
Bones...
Check out this link... CLICK!

When there... Click/highlight the entire article (lots of text)... then...

Safari>>>Services>>>Summarize...

A window will pop-up with a "condensed" version of the story... you can adjust how condensed you want it....
Aaaaaah...very cool. You already got REP!
greyjump.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
In Adium specifically, hitting ESC will delete all the text you've typed in the typing box so far.

Nice, this is even faster. I also like the fact that in almost every program, hitting escape exits any pop up window that you may have activated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
My personal fav. Safari + place cursor over any word and hit Cmd+Ctrl+D = Pop up dictionary.

Reaction score
Yeah that is very cool IronMac! I keep on forgetting that key-combo though ... must tatoo it on my brain somehow ...

Reaction score
I made my own shortcut for secure empty trash. (CTRL `). The apple tips are very helpful.

Reaction score
My tip would be based on what I discovered whilst trying to move all my itunes stuff this weekend (56gig).

The PC wouldn't burn DVD's so I had to resort to transferring it over a network.

I did try copying it all onto an 80gig external drive but that has USB 1 only and it was painfully slow.

I tried doing it over the wireless network and it was only getting 11mbps, again painfully slow.

Apple advise connecting over ethernet but I couldn't get the mac to talk to the PC with them directly connected.

I then had a brainwave of moving the ADSL modem (which has a built in 4 port switch) and connecting the pc and the mac to it. I then made them both use the IP address allocated to them. This worked straight away.
It still takes AGES, I'm about 8 hours on and it's only 2/3rds through but when it's done it will be done.

So the summary of my hint is to not bother messing about with Ip addresses, let the router/switch give them out.

I connected the pc to the macbook via ethernet cable. I clicked on the airport thing and again on create network. I waited about 20seconds and it was connected. Took about 28minutes to move 25GB.

Reaction score
hi guys, can yall help me on a tip? i install bootcamp and windows, in the control panel i select osx as the default boot start since i use that most. my question is what do i press in start up to get into windows? thanks guys

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hi guys, can yall help me on a tip? i install bootcamp and windows, in the control panel i select osx as the default boot start since i use that most. my question is what do i press in start up to get into windows? thanks guys

Press and hold the option key at startup to select between boot partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hold down the OPTION key during start-up... then make your selection.

EDIT: Too s....l....o...w....

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.5GHz Intel Solo 60GB 512MB RAM
if you have an apple remote, hold down the play/pause button for your mac to go to sleep. I love that when I'm watching movies before I go to sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.