Possibly Taking My iMac Back

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Xstep, Very well said. Everything I wanted to say but sometimes is hard to put into words. I have spent hours also trying to figure out some one problem.

Glad to find another who knows what a BBS is. I was a Sysop for years before the Internet took over.

[OT]
Dude, you're not the only one - I was a sysop on a DLG BBS running on an Amiga 3000 years before the word "Internet" was known to anyone outside of a government or educational institution.
[/OT]

xstep, I agree - extremely well said!

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
Well, some of you might be happy about this since I have been a nuisance. I did take my Mac back. I was thinking and contemplating all night and all morning about it. I kept coming back to several issues.

1 - All the programs I need are not available on the Mac platform.
2 - Ok, use Parallels you say? Ok - but why? Why not just keep Windows to begin with?
3 - Your Mac can dual boot. Yes, it can. However - I would be using one OS a lot more than the other. Which brings me back to this issue..
4 - Why buy a Mac if your not going to use "that Mac"?

So, I decided to get my $2,600.00 back and stay with Windows. Please don't get me wrong, I am not cheap by any means as I did pay by cash and it's not about the money. It's the fact that whatever program I needed, it was not there. I had to "substitute" something that was still lacking.

Also if anyone asks, did I like it? Yup. I loved the style, simplicity and ease of use. Enjoyed it thoroughly. The problem is the Apps are lacking for it. There are some built-in - but that's pretty much it in those terms.

Anyways - I want to thank everyone here who helped me on my journey and answered my questions. I really do appreciate it! Maybe one day I can come back when the support is there?

Until then - I am back with Windows! Thank you all :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
dtravis7 and cwa107,

Thanks for positive feedback.

I wasn't sure I should post that because some might take it in some negative light. But I think those people asking questions who take it to heart will get better responses. I really believe that.

Not being a great word smith, that post took over an hour of work. Hopefully it wasn't wasted effort.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Until then - I am back with Windows! Thank you all :D

I think the bottom line in your case is that when you make a switch in operating systems, you have to be willing to accept change. You have to accept that some things are not going to be the way they were in Windows and that just because it's different doesn't mean that one way or another is inherently superior (although it may seem superior to you because it's familiar).

A lot of people come here asking whether they should buy a Mac. I tell them no, unless they tell me they're ready to try something new. It was quite evident from your posts, that you wanted to do things one particular way and any other alternative was simply not going to be suitable - there wasn't much, if any wiggle room for your tastes. And that's OK.

Is it easier to find a larger variety of software for a given task for Windows? Absolutely. If Windows floats your boat, then the Mac is not for you. For many people, the inconveniences associated with Windows greatly outweigh the innate human need for sticking with the familiar.

In any case, you absolutely made the correct choice in returning the Mac. I hope Vista works out for you - best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well, some of you might be happy about this since I have been a nuisance. I did take my Mac back. I was thinking and contemplating all night and all morning about it. I kept coming back to several issues.

You seem to be in a good mood.

Buying a system to find these personal work flow answers seems like over kill to me. If you come back around to buying a Mac, I suggest you do more homework and be more open to alternatives. That second one is tough because we easily get set in our ways and find change difficult, even when it is good for us.

I was going to ask what programs are not available on the Mac that you need, but I just don't care. That is part of the homework and alternatives thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There is so much protocol for posting a question on this site. It's hard to ask a question when you have be a 100% sure that the same question or similar question has never been asked, and you have to word your questions so as not offend anyones delicate sensibilities. It's like the forum is run by a bunch of soup Nazi's . I'm sure i'll get points off or whatever for this comment. But I can't imagine the amount of new mac users leave after making a few comments and then realize this board is like Lord of the Flies.

Funny, most people seem to like it here which is why we're one of the largest Mac-based forums on the internet.

And our member count is active members, we purge monthly.

Of course this environment isn't for everyone, and our goal isn't to please all. We recognize some people may disagree with how we do things here, but we have a very loyal user base just because of the environment we provide here.

M

MacHeadCase

I think the bottom line in your case is that when you make a switch in operating systems, you have to be willing to accept change. You have to accept that some things are not going to be the way they were in Windows and that just because it's different doesn't mean that one way or another is inherently superior (although it may seem superior to you because it's familiar).

A lot of people come here asking whether they should buy a Mac. I tell them no, unless they tell me they're ready to try something new. It was quite evident from your posts, that you wanted to do things one particular way and any other alternative was simply not going to be suitable - there wasn't much, if any wiggle room for your tastes. And that's OK.

Is it easier to find a larger variety of software for a given task for Windows? Absolutely. If Windows floats your boat, then the Mac is not for you. For many people, the inconveniences associated with Windows greatly outweigh the innate human need for sticking with the familiar.

In any case, you absolutely made the correct choice in returning the Mac. I hope Vista works out for you - best of luck.

You seem to be in a good mood.

Buying a system to find these personal work flow answers seems like over kill to me. If you come back around to buying a Mac, I suggest you do more homework and be more open to alternatives. That second one is tough because we easily get set in our ways and find change difficult, even when it is good for us.

I was going to ask what programs are not available on the Mac that you need, but I just don't care. That is part of the homework and alternatives thing.

One of the soup nazis ;) says both your posts are awesome and right on target, guys.

Reaction score
no problem. its the only one I found that does a decent job besides iphoto which I can't stand.

Reaction score
New mac switcher.....

Have to say I can see both sides.

I have moved to a Mac for three reasons 1. Aesthetics of the iMac 2. Virtually all McAfee, norton, AVG cause issues with what I do 3. they work

I am one of those who have to run VM ware because my clients usually have propriety apps that often only run in IE let alone on a mac (most dont work in any other browser other than IE - thats my clients fault for writing bad code but I have to work with it).

I bought an imac 4 weeks ago - fell in love with it. Hated my Dell laptop almost imediately so bought a macbook. had trouble getting the VM ware working and four days after getting it, somehow killed th filestructure to the point I had to take it to a Gravis store in Germany (I am english and working there) to fix. They did no problem.

I have had problems but I know this is because I treat and use the mac like a windoze machine - I will re-learn but it will take time. I will get there - and probablu kill the machine several times more before then

Reaction score
iPhoto would be a lot better if it did not try to create a database all no its own. It would be much more intuitive if it used your current "file structure" and "real files". Not copies. That's the problem I have. When I go to organize, I want real folders called "Cats", "Dogs", "Christmas Vacation" on my drive. I don't want VIRTUAL folders in which I have to open a program to see what is in each folder. Seems kinda backwards if you ask me? All this hard work and the files are still a mess on the drive? No thanks.

I guess many people really don't grasp that concept. Or maybe I am wanting too much?

I just love the way iPhoto imports/organizes photos in events. I makes my life much easier.

Preview is cool too. All within iPhoto. Just double click on an event and all your photos are displayed in a fashion you are talking about. For a quick preview, you can even do a mouse drag across events to quickly scan thru them. Awesome! Your "Cats" and "Dogs" can go into albums.

Resizing is (as mentioned above) easily done in export utility. Further editing can be done on exported images too. This perfectly makes sense, since you don't want to screw up your originals simply because you want to post some altered images elsewhere. Think of Events as your source files.

What's wrong with data base fashion organizing? It's there to help you. Speaking of comparisons, Windows explorer type view (ie.film strip, thumbs, ...), is comparing to iPhoto similar to printing the photos out and stacking them all in a shoe box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.