PLEX on Netgear 314 or WD MyCloud EX4

Reaction score
Hi guys

I"m between the
Netgear RN314 (Netgear Ready Nas 31400 4 Bay)
or the
Western Digital (My Cloud EX4 WDBWWD0120KBK 12TB NAS Server)

Comment.

I currently run Plex on a Netgear RN102 and need to seriously increase my space so looking at a 2nd NAS for the house,
Don't know the Western Digital products.

G

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better location.

- Nick

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
The better location does not seem to generate any more comments/feedback at all.

G

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Probably because no one who knows anything about Plex and those devices has seen it. If it's not a question about Apple products then it belongs here.

I know Plex but nothing about the WD or Netgear. you are running Plex on the Netgear or on a computer connected to the Netgear?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The better location does not seem to generate any more comments/feedback at all.

Location is not the issue. Issue is an uncommon & unusual topic.;)

- Nick

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
I'm running PLEX on a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 at the moment, fitted with 2 x 2TB drives and running out of space, so looking at the next step,

Used for: mostly downloaded movies and TV series and have about 6TB worth of stuff (lots of more movies, 600GB of music and shared documents and photos etc) to get onto a shared resource also acts as our home PLEX server.

Options at the moment are:

Option 1a - Netgear ReadyNAS 31400, empty, fitted with 2 x 2TB drives that I got. (can it take: Seagate Barracuda 2000GB: ST2000DL003)
Want to configure these 2 into Mirror / RAID 1 pair. Will then expand it later with another 2 larger drives, when money allows. I'm working on the assumption that it's best to keep the mirror pair drives the same.

Option 1b - Nether ReadyNAS 316000, empty, fitted with 2 x 2TB drives that I got. (can it take: Seagate Barracuda 2000GB: ST2000DL003)
Want to configure these 2 into Mirror / RAID 1 pair. Will then expand it later with another 2 larger drives, when money allows. I'm working on the assumption that it's best to keep the mirror pair drives the same, this unit will eventually get a 3rd pair of large drives as available a the time, maybe 2 x 6TB drives

Now for storage, once either the 31400 is fitted with 4 drives or the 31600 is fitted with 6 drives and I need more pace: FUTURE Growth

Looks like either the 31600 or 314000 can be fitted with a device called a EDA500, looks like a external disk tray that can expand either of the above,

Option 2 - Western Digital EX4 - 4100
It comes with the ability to take 4 drives,
Does not look as if it can drives externally other than single bay enclosures via USB3

Option 3 - or a HP Microserver
It comes with the ability to take 4 drives,
Does not look as if it can take drives externally other than single bay enclosures via USB3, nice thing here it's a normal server, I can do what I want to.
A Windows, PLEX, SAMBA, iTunes that then public all the music on it via Home Sharing or a CentOS or Fedora build, with PLEX, SAMBA, NFS exports etc.

For Options 1, 2 or 3 (CentOS based build) I will need to run iTunes on a windows machine in the house, and point it at the eventual winner, via the NAS share.

G

Probably because no one who knows anything about Plex and those devices has seen it. If it's not a question about Apple products then it belongs here.

I know Plex but nothing about the WD or Netgear. you are running Plex on the Netgear or on a computer connected to the Netgear?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.