Plex media server app damaged

Reaction score
I've been trying to install the plexmediaserver.app but keep getting the message that it's damaged and I should put it in the trash. I've deleted it and the zip file and redownloaded it with the same results. I tried to dl it from the apstore but it says I have no devices that are eligible (or something). Any help? Thanks.

Tom

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well the App Store is telling you the reason, you running the app on an incompatible Mac. If you DO someone manage to get the app anyway, you get the confusing damaged result.

First, what Mac is this? What version of macOS are you running? What version of Plex did you get outside of the App Store?

The Plex Media Server download page indicates that they support OS X 10.9 Mavericks and onward. The FAQ page specifically mentions up to Sierra, but I imagine newer versions of macOS are fine as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi there. Plex user here. Their media server is NOT on the App Store, let's get that out of the way. in fact, their player isn't on the Mac App Store either. It IS on the App Store for iOS/iPad OS, but you shouldn't be trying to install that even on an M1 Mac.

If you do indeed want the Plex SERVER (in other words, you want to HOST your media library), then the link Raz0rEdge provided is the correct one. What you MAY be seeing is a consequence of only allowing apps from the App Store to run. You can right-click on the app and then select "Open" to bypass your security settings. You'll get a prompt asking if you really want to do that.

Now, if you want to just PLAY media, which would require access to a server hosted by either yourself or someone else, then you need the Player, not the Server. However, you can PLAY via the Server if you host your media on the same Mac. Here's that link:

OP
T
Reaction score
Well the App Store is telling you the reason, you running the app on an incompatible Mac. If you DO someone manage to get the app anyway, you get the confusing damaged result.

First, what Mac is this? What version of macOS are you running? What version of Plex did you get outside of the App Store?

The Plex Media Server download page indicates that they support OS X 10.9 Mavericks and onward. The FAQ page specifically mentions up to Sierra, but I imagine newer versions of macOS are fine as well.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using an iMac 21.5 mid 2014
Big Sur 11.4
PlexMediaServer v 1.25.6
Modified Feb 18,2022

Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi there. Plex user here. Their media server is NOT on the App Store, let's get that out of the way. in fact, their player isn't on the Mac App Store either. It IS on the App Store for iOS/iPad OS, but you shouldn't be trying to install that even on an M1 Mac.

If you do indeed want the Plex SERVER (in other words, you want to HOST your media library), then the link Raz0rEdge provided is the correct one. What you MAY be seeing is a consequence of only allowing apps from the App Store to run. You can right-click on the app and then select "Open" to bypass your security settings. You'll get a prompt asking if you really want to do that.

Now, if you want to just PLAY media, which would require access to a server hosted by either yourself or someone else, then you need the Player, not the Server. However, you can PLAY via the Server if you host your media on the same Mac. Here's that link:
Thanks for the reply.
I just want to play videos and music on my Firestick.

Tom

OP
T
Reaction score

Thanks. I did use the same download page that you sent but clicked anyway, dl'd the zip file, unzipped it and ran the app. Same result: “Plex Media Server.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

I did a right-click and opened and still got that message that it's damaged!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks. I did use the same download page that you sent but clicked anyway, dl'd the zip file, unzipped it and ran the app. Same result: “Plex Media Server.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

I did a right-click and opened and still got that message that it's damaged!

Ok. There are a series of steps that can be taken to try and fix this. I'll link to a site that lists them all. Most likely, you'll have to use the Terminal command mentioned as the last resort.

EDIT: BTW, how are you unzipping that download? I'd wager that may be the problem. Try unzipping it with Keka.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.