Please help me choose a new multi screen system

OP
G
Reaction score
Looks great!:) I think by purchasing 2 Thunderbolt display's...you are personally responsible for Apple having a profitable quarter last quarter!;)

- Nick

Lol. Meaning either I spent a fortune or that Apple's profits weren't great. I like to think the latter, otherwise i'll feel poor! :Smirk:

OP
G
Reaction score
A question on the ram upgrade. Do you think that upgrading the ram to 16gb will make a significant difference to the overall speed of the computer and its use of applications? I am a bit of a noob so excuse the likely obvious question/predicted answer!

And do I have to back the computers files up before changing it or will it make no difference to the rest of the computer. It looks relatively simple (said cautiously) from what I can see.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Lol. Meaning either I spent a fortune or that Apple's profits weren't great. I like to think the latter, otherwise i'll feel poor! :Smirk:

Well technically...Apple's financial results (sales dollars) were down versus 1 year ago...but the numbers that Apple did report last quarter were better than Wallstreet was expecting...which helped the price of Apple stock to increase a nice amount!:)

Although Apple's stock price is wayyy down compared to it's all time high of around $705/share (currently around $450/share).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A question on the ram upgrade. Do you think that upgrading the ram to 16gb will make a significant difference to the overall speed of the computer and its use of applications? I am a bit of a noob so excuse the likely obvious question/predicted answer!

To be honest no. In most situations you don't/won't need 16gig of ram (but who knows in the future). You did mention using Photoshop. Photoshop does like lots of ram...so when working with Photoshop...the 16gig of ram may help.

These days...most folks can get by pretty well with 4gig of ram. 8gig of ram is a better place to be. 16 gig of ram is probably much more than the average person needs at this point in time. But if history teaches us anything...there will certainly be a day when even 16 gig won't be enough!;)

But hey...if the 16gig ram upgrade didn't cost too too much...then it's always nice to have if you keep the Mac-Mini for a long time.:)

And do I have to back the computers files up before changing it or will it make no difference to the rest of the computer. It looks relatively simple (said cautiously) from what I can see.

If you're talking about installing the ram upgrade...I've never backed anything up before doing a ram upgrade. But on the other hand...if you have stuff that needs to be backed up...that "stuff" should be backed up already...regardless of doing a ram upgrade.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.