Playing Specific Games

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a Macbook in the near future and was wondering if anyone has any experience playing Starcraft on one? It's a pretty old game so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be able to play and was just wondering.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
The thing is those old games that the macbook specs would blow out of the water are coded for the old mac power pc cpu's not intels. Therefore the mac has the work through the rosetta program that slows it down.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is it possible to download starcraft onto windows xp through the mac for it to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If it is a game made for XP, you can play it on XP using Bootcamp.

OP
M
Reaction score
So if It's a game made for XP and I use XP on bootcamp I'll be able to load it and play it just like a would on any PC computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
So if It's a game made for XP and I use XP on bootcamp I'll be able to load it and play it just like a would on any PC computer?

Yes sir!

OP
M
Reaction score
Great thanks, I'm just wondering if the graphics card will be able to play it, it's a 10 year old game so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any problems with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | 1.58Ghz Mac mini G4 1GB RAM, 200GB firewire HD
Starcraft

I'm going to load Starcraft on my new BlackBook tonight. It runs peachy on my old G4 Mac Mini, so I imagine the BlackBook will be fine, Rosetta or not.

Since its a 2D game, its not really much concern for the integrated graphics on the MacBooks. I actually have a windows-only version of Starcraft (didn't come with a Mac OS edition until it was out for a while) and could try it under Parallels 3 as well on XP.

The game I'm bummed about is Neverwinter Nights 1, they're not releasing a UB for it even though it was planned, but I'm told it runs fine in Rosetta.

OP
M
Reaction score
Let me know how it works, and are u loading it via rosetta or are you using windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With the OS X installer abailable for download on battle.net starcraft works just fine on an intel mac. I play it sometimes. Though I'd suggest playing it in windowed mode as it's resolution (wither 640x480 or 800x600, I forget which) looks really outdated in full screen mode. But otherwise it works just fine.

And for games that old the rosetta effect is like negligable. Yeah the game runs like lightning.

And a side note. I haven't noticed really any speed slows downs on any games or apps cause of rosetta. It just works.

Reaction score
It will work fine I play it all the time, All you need to do is get the NEw Mac OS installer from blizzard.com, since the installer on the disk is designed for Macs from way back when.

OP
M
Reaction score
So Starcraft will work fine if I get the download from blizzard.com? I'd rather not download Windows if I don't have to, but I still want to be able to run the game well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I play starcraft regularly and have no problems with it on my mbp, it's not slow to load at all so I imagine a macbook wouldn't have a problem keeping up with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Starcraft on MacBook

One more question, I was wondering if anyone has downloaded Starcraft onto their Macbook (13.3 in. not pro) and particularly how it looks on the screen and how it runs on OS X (and also how you got it to run if possible).

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.