Playing games lag???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
What is the current settings your playing, which games? are you boot camped for windows or running parallels or another emulator? Reason asking, is I'm running a late 2011 15.4" i7 quad core 2.2ghz MBP with the 6750M 512MB card and 2x2GB Ram. Have D3 and WOW running high settings w/in OSX and boot camped WIN7 to run origin and BF3 on MED settings @1280x800 res. Averaging 30FPS which is acceptable for a 512MB mobile card.

A lot of issues I've seen is pushing to high of texture packs and res on mobile video cards. Not always designed for it, but by swallowing the pride slightly bumping the res down a notch or 2 and reducing the texture packs one at a time (high->med) or (med->low) will in 9/10 times work. Better acceptable game play, less lag or no lag and a happy gaming experience.

I have a dedicated gaming i3 Dual core desktop i made specifically for gaming, the macbook is for reliability and portability, and bonus is the dedicated graphics card to allow me to sometimes play a game or 2 while I'm away from home or my desk.

If your a truly mobile person, go for the ASUS G53/G73 laptop it has the 560M Nvidia card at 1GB, or the new Ivybridge quad core i7 with the 650M at 1GB VRAM. both will have more then enough power to play games at a higher res and higher FPS.

VRAM helps a lot. and system RAM at 4GB is like minimal and standard. @ ~$50 for 8GB (2x4GB) is very inexpensive these days, and a lot of times it will help some games out with some extra temp storage for files being loaded inside gameplay.

Definitely do a RAM upgrade (as will I next paycheck) and look at downing your res and texture packets (switching graphics settings down 1 or 2 settings lower) this should help a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.