Pixelated screen

Reaction score
HELP! What Just happened to my iMac?!!! It was working fine last night. My son listened to an audio CD then put it to sleep when he was done and this is what we got this morning. I can see the curser moving around behind all of this but can't read anything. I can turn it off and restart and it does this first, then goes to a blue screen, then returns to this. I thought maybe something had overheated so I tried unplugging it for the day while I was at work but it didn't help. I've searched this forum and tried resetting a couple of things but nothing has worked. Does a video card go bad overnight with no warning? Thanks.

screen.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Yes, unfortunately it can. What is the year of your iMac?

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly, 2009 or 2010. The paperwork and backup discs were lost in a move and I can't use the computer to look at "About This Mac".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
If you are in a reasonable distance of an Apple Store it is worthwhile making a Genius Bar appointment. They will pin point the problem and tell you what it would cost to fix it. I recently had the same problem with my 2011 iMac, which fortunately was a known problem with extended replacement for 4 years. If I had had to pay for it, I think it would have been around $350. Anyway, if you can do this you will know the problem and then can decide if it is worth getting fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.