Photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
I have been scanning and importing a lot of photos recently. Photos gives me the option to delete items after import. Obviously I move imports to a specific folder. If I delete imported items does it delete the photos from my albums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Photos, when it imports images, puts a copy of the image into a database which it controls. It then offers to you to delete the original file, from which the import was made, so that you don't have two copies, one in the database and one outside. When you say. "Obviously I move imports to a specific folder" do you mean that you put the images IN Photos into folders IN Photos, or that you put the source file into a folder OUTSIDE Photos? If you let Photos delete the source image, it will delete the file from which it took the import but keep the copy IN the database. Now, if you imported from somewhere and then moved the source file to a different folder, Photos won't know where you moved the source, so it should not delete that moved file.

Hope that helps some. It's a bit complex given how Photos works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
The items are deleted from the camera or card, etc from which they were imported. I tend to keep the originals for some time until I confirm they have been transferred successfully and I have backed up what is on my MBP. Then I format the card so that it deletes the images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sue, that's true, but only IF the source image was on the card or in the camera. If the file had been put on a drive, perhaps by the scanner itself, or by Image Capture or the like, and then imported to Photos from there, then that is the file that will be deleted. Basically, whatever the source file is, wherever it was when it was imported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I bow to your greater knowledge.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.