Photos App Issue - Pictures missing after import

Reaction score
Scenario:

SD memory card was connected to iMac (yosemite). Images/videos (~800) were imported to the Photos App. Afterwards, the sd card was ejected and then wiped.

Issue:

I went back to check on the 800 or so images and videos and they are not in the Photos App. However, pictures and videos from another a previous and later imports are showing up.

I checked the package contents of the Photos App. I checked the masters folder and I found the folders with the date I imported them on. However, all the folders are empty besides thumbnails of the actual pictures.

Where did my pictures go?!

I tried doing a repair on the photos app (command + option key) but that did restore the pictures.

Please help!! Any solutions are welcome. I am stressing over losing these pictures.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went back to check on the 800 or so images and videos and they are not in the Photos App.

You should have checked before you wiped the SD card. Google for a SD data recovery application; there are several to choose from. Not free, but they can recover your photos off the SD card.

OP
J
Reaction score
You should have checked before you wiped the SD card. Google for a SD data recovery application; there are several to choose from. Not free, but they can recover your photos off the SD card.

It was my girlfriend's doing. She said she checked and they were in the Photos App. I think she is right because the thumbnails are in the package contents of the photos app when searching through finder.

She unfortunately, formatted the SD card with her camera. I told her not to do that process any more.
Would the SD data recovery applications still work if the card was reformatted?

Also, do you think it is strange that the thumbnails of all those photos are in finder for the photos app?

Thanks for the reply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
She unfortunately, formatted the SD card with her camera. I told her not to do that process any more.
Would the SD data recovery applications still work if the card was reformatted?

I'm not sure that it would work on a formatted SD, but you can check that at the developer's web site of an app that you choose.

Also, do you think it is strange that the thumbnails of all those photos are in finder for the photos app?

It sure sounds like your photos are in the Photos app library. Do a spotlight search for the photos by searching for one that you know.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not sure that it would work on a formatted SD, but you can check that at the developer's web site of an app that you choose.

It sure sounds like your photos are in the Photos app library. Do a spotlight search for the photos by searching for one that you know.

ok i will check some applications for recovering.

i have looked everywhere and searched for those photos.
i right click on the photos app --> show package contents --> then search through every folder such as masters and thumbnails. the photos are not in the masters besides older imports and newer imports but in thumbnails i can find all 800 thumbnails of the pictures that were imported that day but the actual pictures are missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Shot in the dark - could they be in iPhotos?

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks all for the suggestions.

good news

i tried all and nothing work.

So i investigated SD recovery software. I found CardRaider from Ecamm. $20. It found all the photos and videos even with the SD card being reformatted!

Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.