Photo of the month: March 2006

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
playm0de said:
Nice. I dont want to impose because I dont know your background but one suggestion though: use the rule of thirds. Its a fundamental rule of photography which will make your photos much stronger. Again, I dont know your photography background and maybe you wanted it that way but just a suggestion.

I dont mind suggestions Playmode and dont take this the wrong way either, however to say that it is a fundamental rule of photography is quite a strong statement it is one that is considered to be a great tool for composing images though. You may want to read up on the rule of thirds or at least examine my photograph a bit better. There is a link here that explains the rule: Rule of thirds
and I have inserted lines for the thirds and circled the subject to help you out.
_JPG9984thirds.jpg

Photographs that I show on the web are normally not a representation of the actual prints simply due to the size requirements at sites like this, the image presented here when printed out has a bit more to the bottom of the shot showing a few more inches of the trunk and is printed at 13x19. When I do crop for the web, I try to keep the original idea but for wildlife it seems best to make the actual subject of the image as large as possible without damaging the concept of the image I started with. This crop does follow the rule of thirds although it could have been cropped to follow that even more by removing more from above the bird, in doing that the image appears too cramped together for my taste and in the end photography is simply personal taste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I was thinking more of the eye directly on the intersection. I guess the negative space to the left of the bird makes it seem shifted. Now I just feel foolish. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wow, you took a picture of an advertisement? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
playm0de said:
I was thinking more of the eye directly on the intersection. I guess the negative space to the left of the bird makes it seem shifted. Now I just feel foolish. :dummy:

No need to feel foolish, your opinion of the need to move the bird further out of center is an opinion you hold and everyone is entitled to one. I just wanted to ensure you understood the rule you were using, some times it seems people attempt to over exaggerate the rule placing nothing in 1/2 the image which works some times and others does not.

For bird shots like this, I have a friend that hates the bird is in the top third and feels birds should always be in the bottom part of images so they have room to fly up. I simply dont share his opinion on that :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
galvetraz1 said:
In the gulf

I like sunflares in photos like this. Bigger image would help to see the photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Cool - did you actually modify your iBook's apple logo, or is that 'shopped in?

Reaction score
I modified the logo inside the iBook! I am rubbish at making and doing things in Photoshop apart from Logos etc.

U

UncSki1218

ok heres mine. from my trip to park city. i wish i could put about more than one (apparently theres a rule of one per month). i also wish i could put up more from jamaica last month (apparently theres a rule that it must be form the current month). used a canon powershot 450. fearless, i like your pictures...i'm taking a class too.

IMG_0032.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
ok guys here's mine. I like it because of the clarity and sharpness. Its just pleasing to the eye.

Nature's%20Goodness%20(3).JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
BIC.. what is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
BIC is the company that made the lighter in the picture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ha ha ha, I thought you were talking in macspeak....hahahaha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.