• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Pete Townshend of The Who calls Apple's iTunes a "digital vampire"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I hope some day everyone who thinks artists are whiners for wanting to sell albums instead of singles has the experience of their boss walking in one day and saying, "I know our original deal was to pay you for 8 hours of work, but now we just want to pay you for the time you are actually producing what we feel is good work. Maybe that's 8 hours, but probably it's more like one or two on any given day." Of course, you'll need to continue to work all 8 because you won't know which are the "good" hours and which are not, you just won't get paid for the "not good" ones.
:Smirk:

Fortunately in the real world, with the above noted exceptions, that sort of thing rarely happens. Good thing since most of us real folks don't make millions like this guy did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I'm an old coot, (well not THAT old, but old enough to have been an active part of the 60's) and I simply do not like downloaded music.

I want the entire content of an "album" including the hard copy disk, and the liner notes.

I want all the songs, not just a few.

I don't want to burn my own disk. I want to keep the original just like I kept all my vinyl.

Sure I use I-tunes and also lots of digital content such as Pandora and Slacker all day long while I work.

I'm just not interested in the download business model and I'll pay extra to get original hard copy from a store. Its a shame that is getting harder to do.

I'm old school when it comes to music, or I'm just plain old.

I understand where your coming from but your in the vast minority..it's time to give that thinking up..that "music isn't the same" if your not holding that physical copy.

I ditched that thinking a little over 5 years ago and could not be happier

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I understand where your coming from but your in the vast minority..it's time to give that thinking up..that "music isn't the same" if your not holding that physical copy.

I ditched that thinking a little over 5 years ago and could not be happier

Why should I give it up to become one of the "herd?. Last I looked, Mac computer owners were in the vast minority, yet here you are.

I just reread my original post and as I remembered I said nothing about the music being 'different". Your strawman simply won't hunt.

Do I want the original hard copy? You bet. What to you suppose your self burned cd ( if you still have the files or they are still available for download) is gonna be worth in 20 years compared to original hard copy complete with liner notes? Maybe the value will be similar, but if I were a betting man....

I'm so glad you are happy. Enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol it doesn't make much to make u chuckle then

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why should I give it up to become one of the "herd?. Last I looked, Mac computer owners were in the vast minority, yet here you are.

I just reread my original post and as I remembered I said nothing about the music being 'different". Your strawman simply won't hunt.

Do I want the original hard copy? You bet. What to you suppose your self burned cd ( if you still have the files or they are still available for download) is gonna be worth in 20 years compared to original hard copy complete with liner notes? Maybe the value will be similar, but if I were a betting man....

I'm so glad you are happy. Enjoy.

U really misunderstood my point entirely

And really who buys CDs anymore anyway....has nothing to do about being like the herd sorry nice try...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
U really misunderstood my point entirely

And really who buys CDs anymore anyway....has nothing to do about being like the herd sorry nice try...

Anyway I could give a **** about how u listen to your music

I didn't misunderstand" anything. You posited a very weak strawman and I called you on it.

SOMEONE must be buying CD's besides me, heck I just saw an ad on tv for cd's at Target.

I've been in marketing for 30+ years. A company like Target would not spend very good money on a TV buy if they were not interested in selling the product they were promoting.

Here's some cold, hard facts. Hard copy album sales for 2010 were 326 million copies give or take.

By comparison your vaunted digital album sales were only 86 million copies.

Sure digital album delivery is in a very slow growth mode and hard copy is in decline but the numbers don't...they tell us you don't know what you are talking about.

BTW you misunderstood again. It not about HOW i listen to my music, its about HOW i like it delivered at point of sale. And when it comes to albums it appears I'm not alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't misunderstand" anything. You posited a very weak strawman and I called you on it.

SOMEONE must be buying CD's besides me, heck I just saw an ad on tv for cd's at Target.

I've been in marketing for 30+ years. A company like Target would not spend very good money on a TV buy if they were not interested in selling the product they were promoting.

Move along little doggie....

Lol why are u getting so defensive ?

Clearly physically buying CDs is a thing of the past.. Like I said before let it go buddy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And really u didn't call me on anything since most of the major recording companies are going to be doing away with CDs in the next year

That's a fact actually

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And really u didn't call me on anything since most of the major recording companies are going to be doing away with CDs in the next year

That's a fact actually

Really? In the real world we support statements with cites. Care to do so or are you just waving your hands for effect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol why are u getting so defensive ?

Clearly physically buying CDs is a thing of the past.. Like I said before let it go buddy

I'm not defensive at all. I simply pointed out reality to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not defensive at all. I simply pointed out reality to you.

Actually you didn't ..

And to put an end to this pointless bickering your right and I'm wrong...there ya happy now lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This is a fact I can prove. Pete Townsend at Woodstock threatened Jimi Hendrix (some say threatened to hit him) if he did not let The Who go on first. Hendrix backed down and told the JERK, Ok go on first but when I get on the stage, I am pulling out all the stops. Hendrix did and made old Pete with his 500 mistake solos look like a monkey with that guitar. From that day on, I lost all respect for the man.

Sorry, but that is the truth and he is a jerk. Nothing he would say or do would shock me in the least.

MyMacRox, I have talked to many who knew him and worked with him. All agree with what I said above. He has every right to his opinion as do the Mac REEKS Apple haters, but he is not a very nice person.

You can put Alvin Lee in that list with Pete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually you didn't ..

And to put an end to this pointless bickering your right and I'm wrong...there ya happy now lol

And yet you still can't give us a cite for your claim cd's will go away in the next year...and no, rumors don't count.

Clearly technology changes and the world moves with it.

In my life I've digested music many ways....

Vinyl ( which is still being pressed today)

Reel to reel

8 track

Cassette

Cd

I'm not adverse to digital technology, I make my living producing advertising photography. In case you missed it there was a massive shift away from analog to digital in this medium, and I got in on the ground floor back in 91. I still however prefer the results of the analog process from certain works, just like I prefer original hard copy to compressed downloaded material.

Times change. I have no problem with that at all. When it comes to music purchases my preference is for disks, and I'm willing to pay for that medium. When that day comes that I can't make my purchases in this manner I'll move on.

Until then I'll do like the other people who purchased those 326 million cds in 2010 and keep buying them.

BTW, its called debate, and the object is to exchange FACTUAL information and to attempt to support ones position.

You might consider trying it sometime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Personally I'd love to be able to play my back catalogue of vinyls but they are stuck up in the loft and I haven't played them on any sort of meaningful machine since the early 80's.

The crux for me was being presented with the ability to home-record onto cassette from a deck which gave us all convenient portable music in the car/Walkman/Ghetto-blaster etc.

Over time I realised that it was just more convenient to buy albums on cassette but the format was fragile and CD's presented a convenient, stable and quality medium albeit without the warmth. Mini-Disc appeared and that was and still is a fantastic format, but compiling playlist discs was laborious and when the transit broke on my machine I stuck with CD.

Well now I have the iMac/iTunes (Lossless)/iPhone/iPod option for playback which is excellently flexible, and I have a separates AV system for playing my originals and recorded CD's which sometimes go in the car with me.

I can see both sides of the argument , but in particular the vinyl one because the equipment manufacturers pitched at the audiophile market are constantly striving to equal the quality and reference of vinyl playback which is the irony of it all.

God bless my vinyls, I really don't know what to do with them. I don't want to sell them because they are personal and evocative, but having come this far with digital I can't go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I still buy CD's,DVD-A's and SACD's when the whole disc is worth owning and play them
on an OPPO BDP-83 ted to an Integra DTR-10.5 and sent to Paradigm Studios while the
deep bass is handled via Velodyne and it sounds great to me and yes I have a Who's Next in the collection. With all that said the sound I get from my MBP sent via AE to the Integra is almost indistinguishable from the CD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I never knew Alvin Lee threatened Hendrix. What did he do?

Didn't threaten Hendrix - at least not that I'm aware of.

Let's just say he was a disgusting human being. The only musician I've ever met, that I wish I hadn't. Hopefully, the last 30+ years have mellowed him out a bit - like the rest of us. I still can't bring myself to buy any of his music though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Didn't threaten Hendrix - at least not that I'm aware of.

Let's just say he was a disgusting human being. The only musician I've ever met, that I wish I hadn't. Hopefully, the last 30+ years have mellowed him out a bit - like the rest of us. I still can't bring myself to buy any of his music though.

Interesting. I never met him but saw him with the early Ten Years After maybe 10 times. He was an excellent guitarist but his playing seemed to go down hill in the 70's. Drugs? Who knows. Very interesting as most of my friends and I were fans of his playing back in the late 60's.

Who I met (Dating myself here :D) that I felt was a mean and egotistical person was the guitarist of the Iron Butterfly. Sure you have heard of them Bob. He was a total jerk to both me and a friend of mine backstage.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think you'd be talking about Pinera? Yeah, you'd be right about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.