• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

People who are banned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Lets be honest, piracy is all over the net and people talking about it.

Why ban someone for asking a question about something they shouldn't? (MacNewbie in the other thread for instance)

Surely deleting the thread and emailing or PMing the person telling them that if they ask about it again will result in a permanent banning?

Just my two penneth anyway...

Our rules are clear. We ask people to read them before posting, and IMHO, ignorance of the rules is no excuse when breaking them.

FYI, asking for pirated software is not a permanent ban by itself.

It's all well and good to say "it's in the rules" but come on ... do you really think everyone who signs on reads all of those rules (or remembers them all)? And even if you think it's a forum member's responsibilty to remember every rule, is banning the best punishment for an infraction?

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse and is a weak argument. Since I haven't actually read the US law against murder, should I be able to kill someone and get a slap on the wrist because I never read it?

Besides the point. How many forum rules must you remember, in reality?
  • Don't behave like a moronic beast to other members,
  • don't post spam
  • and don't talk about pirated software.

That pretty much sums up our rules...good job! ;)

I love the "free speech" arguments.
rolleyes.gif

Heh...this is a private forum and you have no rights. You follow the rules or you don't get the privilege of posting on this private board. Seems fairly simple to me.

And that is absolutely correct. While we strive to be fair, in essence, this is not a public space and by posting here you are agreeing to the rules as set forth by the staff.

Reaction score
I thought MS's licensing allowed you to re-use a license as long as the previous copy was removed from the old machine.

Doh!

(this line entered to avoid the "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters." error)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Maybe. For some reason I though the XP license was for a single machine, but could be moved to different machines as long as it was only used on one.

I believe that is true, but most people have a copy of windows that came pre loaded on the computer. MS will not support these copies of windows and I don't beleave they are portable.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Under the Windows XP End-User License Agreement (EULA), you may install one licensed copy of Windows XP on one computer.

indeed i was wrong. that came from the windows website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I believe that is true, but most people have a copy of windows that came pre loaded on the computer. MS will not support these copies of windows and I don't beleave they are portable.

bone

True, OEM copies of Windows don't count for some odd reason. Apparently M$ only counts the "over the counter" version you buy in the box.

Reaction score
Whew. All of my copies are OEM.

And to MS's credit, once I explained what I was doing they did give me a second "key" so I could install WinXP both on my Parallels VM and on the computer in a separate Boot Camp'd partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
From the point-of-view of those that run the forum you can't be seen to back down. If you start giving into one member then where does it stop? Why even bother having forum rules in the first place?

Having said that, you can be too over the top. I had a thread closed on CGTalk once and it was perfectly innocent. I'd tried to install the Adobe CS2 trial on a computer I bought off a friend. Even though I'd never used it before it was saying trial expired. I posted on their forums asking why and the thread got closed - an admin told me I was encouraging piracy!

In this case however, he was blatently asking about getting illegal software . . . really anyone should know better than that. I think the way it's been handled is fair. Admittedly, some forums might just issue a warning for that but as a previous poster said this is a private forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
MS EULA for XP Home specificates "
1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer."

the XP Pro says 2 CPU. And I don't know what they are doing for quad core.

I think it BS that they specify how many CPU you can run it with. How do you legally run an 'xgrid' type, or cluster applications thru in Windows if you can't use Windows on more that the specified CPU.

However i don't remember it specifying weather it can migrate. And I don't see why they should have to specify it. it seams obvious that section 1.1 makes it quite clear. So as long as it's on only one machine, it's not an issue.

Like with my copy of XP Pro. I ran out of activations(5)(because of major upgrades/changes) and so I called MS up, they asked why then, now it's automated i think. i said that I had disassembled the previous machine. And that this was a new machine. And now I have five more activations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it BS that they specify how many CPU you can run it with. How do you legally run an 'xgrid' type, or cluster applications thru in Windows if you can't use Windows on more that the specified CPU

You pay M$ a lot of money for a special license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
I think people should be banned for blatantly asking "where can i download such and such"
first, its against that rules, and clearly violates them. The member should have read the rules first, and obviously they didn't which means they could infringe again, without knowing
and secondly, JUST GOOGLE IT IDIOT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think banning a n00b for that is counter productive, and everybody deserves a second chance so you should get 1 warning and that's it. After that though....

Reaction score
I've been there and done that and am actually a better person for it.

I started out just turning to this forum when things went belly up and demanding that someone help me, afterall the forum is full of geniuses and what did I know?

Then after I was banned I realised how selfish I'd been and the rest is histoire!

I'm quite new to the internet and Mac OS X and know nowhere near the amount of stuff that some here do. I don't give a rats, as I can always Google.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pulse-8, you have turned into a very helpful user here at Mac Forums! Keep up the great work.

Reaction score
Yep there is a ton of great information on this site --- daily ---

Everybody does a nice job helping others. I sure appreciate it!
toast.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Pulse-8 is awesome. He has helped me many times with many questions.. Thank you sir!

Reaction score
This happens on virtually every forum... someone gets banned for asking where they can download Logic Pro for free and either gets banned or someone who answers gets it.

Then there is a huge moral outcry about freedom of speech, blah blah and how the mods are too heavy handed etc. What bothers me is that people think downloading software illegally is acceptable. In fact, people think it's 'cool'.

I'm more than happy to take the negative rep on the chin for saying this, but people who steal software are scum. They try and dress it up in pseudo revolutionary or anti-establishment language like it's some big attack on the corps, but the the same people who download Office 2003 or cracked versions of Tiger, would probably feel very differently if it was them on the receiving end of theft.

Also, there is no excuse these days. You hate microsoft? Don't want them getting your hard earned allowance? Well don't download Office from haX0rZ.com... use OpenOffice or NeoOffice or any number of shareware apps that can do almost everything the professional aps can do anyway.

[/end rant]

:bomb:
The lay person doesn't typically understand how Law works much less their constitutional rights. When you join a Forum you agree to the terms and conditions of that site, you are entitled to post, however you do not have the right to post. If you want the right to post and express your free speech then you'd have to make your own forum, one you control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think what needs to be understood here is that bans are not always permanent. With the infraction system there are "points" assigned to various violations as well as the length of time those points stay on your record so to speak

The number of points you have at any given time defines how long the ban remains. Asking for illegal software will result in a 1 day ban if it's your only infraction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.