Password

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Mac on E-bay, it is a Mac G5 M9454ll/A using Leopard 10.5.8. It came with no disks (I just ordered 10.6 from Apple), according to the info the, OS was a fresh install and all old info erased, my problem is I don't know how to go about creating a new passsword, if it was a PC I would have no problem, been using them for about 30 years. Mac is new to me, like starting over, from what I have seen so far I am long over due for the switch. I e-mailed the seller for advice also, but that could take some time. Any help on setting the password? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are you going to do with the 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD that you ordered from Apple? Unless you have an Intel machine in addition to the G5 you bought, that version of OS X is not going to work on the G5. 10.6 is Intel only.

In order to reset the password you'll need to buy a retail version of Leopard (10.5). They usually sell on eBay, so look around. Expect to pay a premium for it. Note: You need a retail version (black, not silver gray)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pity it is a G5 which means a PowerPC chip and unable to use OS X.6, OS X.7 or OS X.8. G5"s are getting pretty long in the tooth. G5's were released in the 2005/2006 years. Ask the seller for the original or Leopard discs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Pity it is a G5 which means a PowerPC chip and unable to use OS X.6, OS X.7 or OS X.8. G5"s are getting pretty long in the tooth. G5's were released in the 2005/2006 years. Ask the seller for the original or Leopard discs.

Bought on Ebay, seller does not have disks, tried, Guess I made a mistake, never used Apple/Mac before, used Microsoft/windows from the beginning, usually all operating systems were for all PC's computers ,finding out Apple a little different ,wish I could get it together, so far from what little I have seen the system is awesome.Any place to get a decent price on a 10.5 OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any place to get a decent price on a 10.5 OS?

About the only places you're apt to find a copy of Leopard retail is on either eBay or Craig's List. Unfortunately, folks who sell Leopard in those two places generally place a premium price on it. Keep looking is all I can advise.

OP
D
Reaction score
About the only places you're apt to find a copy of Leopard retail is on either eBay or Craig's List. Unfortunately, folks who sell Leopard in those two places generally place a premium price on it. Keep looking is all I can advise.
Thanks for all the kind replies.
Jim

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I finally got it working, problem

now is, I got a blutooth keyboard, had to buy an adaptor,

hooked up a network adaptor for wifi signal, both worked

great, except every time I turn off the computer they fail

to work and I have to get a wired keyboard to log -in and

set them both up again, and after another shut

down/startup same thing, at least I am making some

progress, but a pain in the butt. Any help appreciated

C

chas_m

The root problem here is that you bought a very old computer.

I am personally very happy that you've given the Mac a try and that you are now starting to enjoy it, but I fear that as long as you stick with a decade-old machine you're going to encounter lots and lots of little issues that will diminish your experience. Things like:

*no supported Flash
*no supported Java
* most websites won't render properly
* forget about online banking or anything requiring up-to-date security
* videos may not play properly
* numerous unfixable security issues
* no new software available, no new updates available for the software you do have

and so on.

I'd recommend that you sell that unit and get an Intel based model of somewhat newer vintage. IME, someone new to the Mac platform should really stick to a 2009 or newer model in order to be compatible with current software, updates, peripherals, iDevices and other such stuff.

Obviously, there are cases where older computers are still useful -- I have a friend that is still using my old G3 iBook from 1999 as a word processor and she's happy as a clam with it because it's not using the internet at all beyond email. But as a new user to the platform, I would want you to have the best experience possible and thus I'd strongly recommend swapping up to the Intel-based Mac line of 2009 or later.

To put this another way: the current Mac mini ($600 brand new) is likely just as fast (if not faster) than the machine you have, takes up roughly 1/50th the space, is dead quiet and compatible with everything. Just something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you have described is a major problem with using USB dongles for Bluetooth and wireless. That using the wired keyboard is an absolute necessity. As the version of Bluetooth is pretty old there is no way to update this. Your model was first released way back in June 2004, as chas m says nearly a decade ago.

OP
D
Reaction score
What you have described is a major problem with using USB dongles for Bluetooth and wireless. That using the wired keyboard is an absolute necessity. As the version of Bluetooth is pretty old there is no way to update this. Your model was first released way back in June 2004, as chas m says nearly a decade ago.
Thanks for the replies, I am gettting the idea, need a newer version, thats what I get for trying to go cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well newer computer actually not a newer version of the operating system I take it you do mean?

There ain't nothing 'good and cheap' about computers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.